Is adding water okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
I switched burners and ended up with a higher evaporation rate than what I normally have. I lost 2 quarts more during my 90 minute boil. Of course this changed my expected OG, in addition to freaking me out because now my hops would be out of balance.
I added 2 quarts of boiling water towards the end of my boil. I don't see why this should be an issue- water out, water back in, right? but maybe it is.
Can anyone tell me if it is a problem to top up with water?

Given what you say, I'm guessing the issue is a higher than expected OG? I don't see an issue with adding water back in to get to your expected OG. But if your OG is good, don't add anything and work with the lower volume.

Oh, if your hops take over the flavor profile, just call it an IPA :D

Make a note of the evaporation change and cover it in your next brew.

Given what you say, I'm guessing the issue is a higher than expected OG? I don't see an issue with adding water back in to get to your expected OG. But if your OG is good, don't add anything and work with the lower volume.

Oh, if your hops take over the flavor profile, just call it an IPA :D

Make a note of the evaporation change and cover it in your next brew.

Thank you. That is the answer I was hoping for. My OG was on target after I added the water.

Back