Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**** you, matt. i'm keeping your beer gun.

Cool, then I can borrow it from Chris!!!!!

Eh, I guess one of us is going to have to buy one now. I just know someone out there will give us a deal on one.

You guys didn't like BM's beer gun? Tell you what I do. I take a piece of racking cane, unscrew my Perlick tap nozzle, slide the cane thru it, add a small o-ring (like the one the fits on a keg post) to the end after running it thru the nozzle, screw the nozzle back into the tap (have to push a little to get the o-ring to seat up in there) and bottle right thru the tap! Works like a charm. You can use the bottle size stopper on the cane as well if you want to control the CO2.

Congrats, Matt!

My lager is just barely showing signs of life 24 hours after pitching. Kind of difficult to tell at what temp it is at really - the water bath is in the mid-40s, the air temp above the water in the mid-50s.

No Matt!!!

but it's good to know you got a job!

Brewing this saturday. Anyone wanna join?

Chris do up a water recipe for me. double IPA we did back then. with more base malt (aiming for like... 1085 or so at 65% eff since it gets so low when w went that high)

I'll post the recipe later when I get home if you dont have it

Got my kegs today... three Cornelius, one Challenger, each with Pepsi remnants inside them ;) Sure enough, they don't fit in my fridge sideways :(
I'll have to figure out how to take them apart and clean/sanitize them and use them as secondaries for the time being.

What parts should I replace? Just all the o-rings, and soak the rest in hot Oxyclean?

Felipe, I'll be in Tampa on Saturday, so no go for me.

Bought that Corona mill that was at the store the other day. Ran some wheat through it. Looks almost identical to the wheat ran through the roller mill at the store.

Those big O rings that seal the lid on can harbor the soft drink flavors, get them real clean.

They have a nice O ring kit, with a zillion rings in it, all different sizes, for real cheap at Harbor Freight up on Main St.

Studying this weekend... Think I'm brewing on Tuesday. If I can get my CFC built before then. If not, hopefully sometime next week.

Doing my first kegging the Thursday after this. Thanks for the Oxyclean heads up. Do you soak in oxyclean and then use star san? My 4 came with O-ring kits; Should I try to clean the existing ones or just go ahead and replace all of them? Thanks.

Thanks much; Really looking forward to not having to bottle. Really having a hard time waiting another week and a half to keg this beer... will have been 3 weeks on Thursday. Recipe says 6 weeks, but I think 4 will have to do...

unless you are lagering I say 6 weeks is ridiculous.

unless it's a RIS or barleywine at which point you should keg anyway...

what are you fermenting?

Just an American Amber Ale. Let it sit in the primary for a little less than 2 1/2 weeks and just racked it to clear up on Sunday. Was going to give it a little over a week and a half before I kegged.

I only use boiling water for my kegs now. If you scan back a couple pages you'll find a long post about it.

Boil about a gallon of water and toss it in. Shake the keg around, put some pressure on it and dispense though your beer line.

I've had great success with this method.

Found the post. Are you doing this and then storing or just before you reuse it? If just before you reuse it, do you clean it the "regular" way first?

i think i've found a new method of cleaning out my kegs instead of using sanitizer and oxyclean. my beers usually taste fine until i get them in the keg.

for the last two batches I've taken the keg outside and rinsed it out with my chlorine riddled water from the hose. while I'm doing this I get some water boiling on the stove (about a gallon or so). once it's boiling I pour it in the keg and put the lid on. it usually vents off a little bit from the steam. Pick it up, shake it around and hook it up to the CO2. then I dispense through the picnic tap and run it through my racking cane to clean/sanitize it as well. the water is still boiling hot at this point. once the kegs empty I vent off the remaining pressure, open the top and put the racking cane in so it doesn't touch anything. then I proceed as normal.

I think I'm going to stick to this method. I know everyone says don't fear the foam and all that, but it's always bothered me to dump beer on a ton of sanitizer foam. this has worked great for the last two batches. and it's cheaper.

also, wine theif's are the ****.

If I could find a free compact fridge that holds two kegs somewhere, I bet I could talk my wife into buying the rest of the kegging equipment... If anyone sees or hears anything, please let me know!

For now, I am enjoying figuring out what parts I need to rebuild my four different types of kegs - one corny with skinny posts, one corny with fat posts, one champion corny and a Firestone VI.

any brewers here near the Gainesville, FL area?!

I don't know anything about brewers in your area, but...

Well, about three decades ago I remember reading about the Gainesville Marijuana Dealers Association. They did a fund raiser for something or other.

Is that organization still active?

So no oxiclean just straight boiling water?

yup.

Found the post. Are you doing this and then storing or just before you reuse it? If just before you reuse it, do you clean it the "regular" way first?

I do it just before I keg. I haven't been using any chemicals in the keg. I'll heat up some water pretty hot and dump that in and scub anything out. I maybe have a tsp of sediment in my kegs because I crash cool and use gelatin. I can pick up my kegs and shake them and immediately pour a crystal clear beer. What I'm trying to say is that my kegs don't need a lot of cleaning, just rinsing the old beer out.

Yeah, their clubhouse is on 39th Ave. across from the Airport.

WTF? Really?

Oh, and Danny ... did your wife win citizen of the month?

I need to start saving my oxy and my starsan then! No more cleaning and sanitizing kegs!

also, how often should I clean the lines on my sweet masterpiece? I was thinking maybe once a month?

yeah but I guess boiling water should be enough... think Im gonna do 2 gallons of boiling water since I have to push it through the 4 taps and I wanna get a good amount through to make sure it's all clean.

hey chris I think I am gonna revisit that ESB this saturday. wanna make a water recipe?

I'm shooting for 5.5 gals I got the recipe if you don't

1.25 mash

double batch sparge

7 gal preboil

Was just recently thinking of doing a Fuggles smash with most of the IBUs coming from like a 3-4 ounce 20 minute addition, just to be stupid. I was going to call it "The Fug Bomb", or alternatively "Fuggizil My Nizzles".

(ok it's a hop burst... but it's like a hopslam and the fuggin burst doesn't sound as cool so I had to make a substitution..)

Latest posts

Back