15 gallon fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben the brewman

Reaction score
i have been homebrewing for a few years now and was thinking of making a fermenter to sell and wanted to know if anybody would be intersted in something like this or not. it will be a 15 gallon food grade plastic fermenter, it will have a fully removeable lid for cleaning, a ball valve in the bottom of the tank, and a valve on the top that you can switch out a airlock and a pressure hose so you can transfer the beer under pressure to avoid picking up the entire thing. let me know what you guys think about this.

I made a couple like this,
Food Grade Barrel, holds 14-15 gallons
gromet for airlock
ball lock gas fitting
Better Bottle Racking arm and valve
I have about $60 in it but $17 of that is because I bought a spendy adapter to add the ball lock fittting. Would do it different next time and save the $17

The one in the pic is in the garage with 12 gallons of Peanut Butter Porter @ 60º

15G.jpg

Where did you get that barrel? I would like to get a 12 gallon or so barrel like that for 10 gallon batches. Also, do you just use the gas fitting for purging oxygen?

I have the exact same barrel, SuperiorBrew. Works great for a primary! I just use mine the ol' fashioned way with an autosyphon. Helps that my brother and I brew together as that baby sure is heavy w/ 12 gals in it!

My friend started picking up a few 15 gallon barrels that bulk liquid malt extract comes in. Seems like they would work decent for a fermenter.

Tonedef131 said:
Where did you get that barrel? I would like to get a 12 gallon or so barrel like that for 10 gallon batches. Also, do you just use the gas fitting for purging oxygen?

I was planning on using it for transfering and purging but the racking arm works so good I never bother with it.
I use it all the time for 10g batches, i made a little larger batch this time because I am expecting more trub loss (PB Porter) and I want to split it and secondary half of it over some cocoa.

SuperiorBrew said:
I was planning on using it for transfering and purging but the racking arm works so good I never bother with it.
I use it all the time for 10g batches, i made a little larger batch this time because I am expecting more trub loss (PB Porter) and I want to split it and secondary half of it over some cocoa.
Right on, so where does one aquire such a vessel?

jtvinny said:
Superior Brew,
I would like to set a couple of these up as well. Where did you get the barrels?

I got these from Doug Bradford [email protected] they were $22 including shipping.

I email a couple times to get more and no response.

Some one else got this reply from him recently:

Things have drastically changed here in our little company. Availability of the drums has decreased, and we now have to include all labor into the price. Sorry, but not my decision.

Consequently, at the moment we have only two buckets. The price is $37.00 each, which includes postage to your address via USPS. Sorry about the price increase, but I am not allowed to just get rid of the drums any more like I used to be able to do, so cleaning, wrapping, and sending someone to the post office has to be covered.

If you are still interested, please let me know. If I do not hear from you I will go to the next person who emailed us.

Again, sorry about the price and availability, but this is now out of my control. I will understand if you are not interested. But if you are, let me know and I will give you more details as to paying.

Regards,
Doug
There are a bunch of 9 gallon ones on ebay but no bigger ones that I can find right now.

My buddy scored the 15 gallon drums from outside the back of a LHBS. 0$. Just gotta clean out all the malt. I think he has snagged 4 of them so far. I have a few. I figured they would be good just as general containers for water or what not. They are HDPE. He also picked up a food grade 55 gallon drum this way. Not sure what that will get used for, he had hopes of making a lot of beer! :D

I use 2 of these 20 gallon plastic drums. They stank like olives bad when I got them, but I gave them a 3 hour soak in hot water and oxyclean and it cleared it up. If I leave the lid on it for a couple days, I can still smell it a little bit, but I've done a batch of apfelwein and have a batch of pale ale in it now, you can't smell/taste the olive at all.

SuperiorBrew said:
I got these from Doug Bradford [email protected] they were $22 including shipping.

I email a couple times to get more and no response.

Some one else got this reply from him recently:

There are a bunch of 9 gallon ones on ebay but no bigger ones that I can find right now.

Is the manufacturer of the container printed/embossed on the barrel? Like Ball container?

what i wanted to know is if i made some of these do you guys think i could sell them. im not looking to make a bunch of money off of anything like this but i want your feedback. i see everybody has one and wants one but nobody has one that you can put pressure on to transfer with. the ones im making will be able to transfer beer under pressure so you wont have to lift them up or siphon them out.

ben the brewman said:
what i wanted to know is if i made some of these do you guys think i could sell them. im not looking to make a bunch of money off of anything like this but i want your feedback. i see everybody has one and wants one but nobody has one that you can put pressure on to transfer with. the ones im making will be able to transfer beer under pressure so you wont have to lift them up or siphon them out.

Keep talking. I'm all ears. A conical ain't in the budget right now but I really want to get away from the dual 6 gallon carboys as primarys. (although I most likely would just still use them and brew even more! :D )

I know there are some old threads around that discusses the use of these, but havent seen any confirmation that anyone has attempted to use them.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/va...ry_name=20726&product_id=3863&variant_id=8784

15 Gallon Conical for less than $75

As inexpensive as it is, I am going to get one of these and give it a shot. If it doesnt work, i wont be out that much. I am trying to find the Konical Kitz Racking arm to use on this, but can't find a reseller that still carries them.

MNBugeater

MNBugeater said:
15 Gallon Conical for less than $75
IROC, the shipping was about the same as the cost of the product. And you will need to buy/build a stand. (the reasons I don't own one right now)

MNBugeater said:
As inexpensive as it is, I am going to get one of these and give it a shot. If it doesnt work, i wont be out that much. I am trying to find the Konical Kitz Racking arm to use on this, but can't find a reseller that still carries them.

MNBugeater

here is an option for the racking arm. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10155

I was thinking of getting one of these for a Sanke I was goign to convert to a fermenter. But instead I pulled the trigger on a 14.5g Conical. I still may get it though and give it a try.

Mike

For whats its worth US Plastics is amazing company to work with. I just used there live chat and the lady was super helpful

Here are the part numbers to get a 15 Gallon Plastic Conical. She is emailing me the manufacturer spec sheet. I will provide a link when I receive it.

15 Gallon Conical - Full Drain - US Plastics Part # 8784 - $68.82
Full Drain Stand - US Plastics Part # 9907 - $74.41
2" - 1/2" Reducer Coupling - US Plastics Part # 26252 - $22.19
Conical Racking Arm - Austin Homebrew Supply # 02344 - $49.99

EDIT: I read the description on Austin Homebrew supply further. It states this racking arm will NOT work with the plastic conicals from US Plastics. The metal/stainless rotating fitting will scratch the plastic conical (not good). I'm looking at alternatives.

Total is $215.41 about half the cost of the Stainless conicals. You could get cheaper if you built your own stand or had something to hold the tank. The stand from USP is $75 which is a little high.

5 Is Not Enough said:
IROC, the shipping was about the same as the cost of the product. And you will need to buy/build a stand. (the reasons I don't own one right now)

I was put off by US Plastics shipping at first also and then realized they charged a fee based on cost on their website which was outrageous. But if you select the "prepay" option they charge you exactly what UPS charges. You don't know the cost until it ships but you aren't paying a shipping mark up this way, just actual shipping costs. It certainly will be less shipping than shipping a stainless steel conical.

For this price you will have a 15 gallon complete with drain valve and racking arm and can get 2 for 1 over the stainless. I know stainless has its advantages. Im not debating plastic vs. stainless here, but just providing a lower cost alternative.

I am going to get one of these so I'll post follow up in a few weeks after I get it setup and use it.

drez77 said:
OOPS missed that about the plastic conicals and the Racking Arm. In this thread there is a picture of the Austin Racking Arm https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=18630&page=2

I wonder if you use a teflon washer or gasket bewteen the platic cone and the Racking Arm will work. Just a thought.

Mike

I thought the exact same thing. I have also stumbled upon some PVC NSF grade bulkhead fittings that I'm looking into. May take me some time to get this figured out, but there will be a way. The pre-made assembled plastic conicals do not have a racking arm, so there is that option of having a fixed drain valve with a 45 degree or something that would sit above the trub/yeast. When i get back from vacation, I'm going to get something put together.

MNBugeater - I do not know much about these conicals, but I am going to 10 gal batches and are looking for options other than split batches - these look perfect. With out the racking arm - could the bottom port be used by pulling out the trub and yeast then racking the beer out after or am I missing something?

I may be blinded by the beauty of approx $300 to get 2-15 gal fermenters with reducer couplings and shipping - the stands I could build.

Cookiebaggs said:
Is the manufacturer of the container printed/embossed on the barrel? Like Ball container?

Cheapest I found them was $36.08 and you have to buy a pallet of 32 and pay freight from NJ

fermenter_004.jpg

NWernBrewer said:
MNBugeater - I do not know much about these conicals, but I am going to 10 gal batches and are looking for options other than split batches - these look perfect. With out the racking arm - could the bottom port be used by pulling out the trub and yeast then racking the beer out after or am I missing something?

I may be blinded by the beauty of approx $300 to get 2-15 gal fermenters with reducer couplings and shipping - the stands I could build.

Yes you are correct. You dont NEED a racking arm. In fact a fixed arm above the trub/yeast could be installed that would be clear of sediment. With a little experimentation you could get it close so that you wouldnt leave much if any beer behind.

I too am very interested in this solution. I think it is a very viable option and the price is right. I'll keep you posted as to my progress...you do the same.

MNBugeater said:
Yes you are correct. You dont NEED a racking arm. In fact a fixed arm above the trub/yeast could be installed that would be clear of sediment. With a little experimentation you could get it close so that you wouldnt leave much if any beer behind.

I too am very interested in this solution. I think it is a very viable option and the price is right. I'll keep you posted as to my progress...you do the same.

I also have a 15G MiniBrew Conical that has a fixed racking port. It works okay but the port is about 6" up the cone and if you do not plan well and make a slightly larger batch I find myself not getting the full amount of beer to fill my kegs. If you were drilling a hole in your cone I would suggest lower down on the cone then a MineBrew if you are not having a rackign arm.

Mike

Austinhomebrew said:
Which distributor?
Forrest

I like where you're going Forrest.
I jsut picked one of these up from the gentleman mentioned earlier in the thread. Prices have indeed increased on his end. I'm currently using the one I have to store bulk 2-Row, but if I can get some for a little cheaper I may have to consider some larger batches !

im not sure about the full cost of the fermenters im talking about making but it should be around $160 to $180 for a fifteen gallon pressurizable fermenter. that cost would cover everything the fermenter, ball valve, weldless fittings, and the adapter to pressure transfer the beer. let me know what you guys think.

The 15 Gallon buckets work well;
12838-3Bucketsmall.jpg

I got mine for $25 a piece
I just remove the bung and let the autosiphon work its magic

Cheers
BeerCanuck

RadicalEd..the Company that makes them is based in Quebec Canada IPL and the model is 61625. I couldnt find it listed on the web site but they do have a 1-800 contact #

I just asked my LHBS guy what he uses for his 15 gallon Sanke batches.
The 26*36 beer pale liner makes it a snap to clean as well after racking

Cheers
BeerCanuck

ben the brewman said:
im not sure about the full cost of the fermenters im talking about making but it should be around $160 to $180 for a fifteen gallon pressurizable fermenter. that cost would cover everything the fermenter, ball valve, weldless fittings, and the adapter to pressure transfer the beer. let me know what you guys think.

I think they have told you what they think. If you have a product to market, please feel free to purchase a vendors membership.

Everyone has given you great ideas, and you've put out some "feelers".

Back