degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't seem to find it.

For my second round of apfelwine, I subbed in some berry juice. It's been fermenting for about 2 months now, and I'm pretty sure it's finished at around 1.003 (I also added a little malto-dextrine so I'm guessing that's why it didn't get all the way down to 1.000). the smell is wonderful and the taste is terrific. I think I'm going to backsweeten it a bit with splenda, but my problem with it is it's got a serious carbonic bite. When I pull a sample with the wine thief, it's totally full of bubbles.... like lots and lots of bubbles. It hits the tongue with a baseball bat, and I think I want it to be relatively flat. I'm thinking the racking into the bottling bucket will knock some of that out of it, but still. how do I get the rest out without oxygenating it? I'm planning on sanitizing my plastic mash padle and stirring it around a bit. Is that a good idea or is there a better way?

do you have it in a carboy? If you do, they actually sell these things called "wine whips" that hook up with your drill so you can degass. You can "splash rack" the wine, too, if you want. That may work fine.

One caution- you will be seriously aerating your wine. So, after you're done degassing, make sure that you use one campden tablet (dissolved) per gallon in the wine to help stop oxidation.

Back