Simple Poll - How Important is a Hydrometer to Your Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Important is a Hydrometer to Your Brewing

• Necessary "Helps me brew better"

• Could Take it or Leave it.

• Not Necessary "Doesn't make me a better brewer"

• What's a hydrometer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably been asked before, but I thought it time to revive the debate.

For me, it's invaluable. Brewing without knowing the gravity of your beer would be like flying a plane in the fog without instrumentation.

What say you other brewers...?

A hydrometer shouldn't make or break your brewing, it should be there to tell you that have done everything correctly, IMO.

If you want to be sure of your %ABV and be sure that your fermentation is complete, you need one.

If you want to wing your ABV and are willing to risk bottle bombs, skip it.

My hydrometer acts as my all grain report card. Based on its reading, I can tell how well I did with the mash. If the result is unexpected, I try to find a reason and fix it for next time. The added bonus is that I know exactly how potent my beer is.

Beerrific said:
A hydrometer shouldn't make or break your brewing, it should be there to tell you that have done everything correctly, IMO.
That's basically how I use it, to provide confirmation that I haven't screwed up. I keg nearly everything, so I take a measurement before pitching and right before kegging...unless I think something has gone wrong, that is pretty much it. Typically, four weeks have passed between those two measurements, and once kegged the beer conditions at least another month before I even consider tapping it.

Nearly all of my beers are medium to low OG, and they ferment in a very predictable manner. So far, so good. Should I try making something substantially bigger, I'll probably take a few more measurements to make sure I'm on track.

I don't use mine except on brew day, most of the time I forget to take a reading before bottling. I could take it or leave it, I just use it to know how good I did on my mash.

I use it just to satisfy my curiosity on my efficiency, ABV etc. It's not like the beer is going to taste any different if I don't use it.

I use it every brew. I do like the numbers (plan to get a refractometer) to use as a gauge of how well my equipment and process is performing. I also like to know the alcohol percent because everybody always asks. I don't plan to stop using it.

Does a refractometer count?? Actually I use both, like Yuri said I use my refractometer when I check my runnings and my hydrometer after fermentation starts.

I am on the same page as Yuri, the first time I forgot to take an OG was my last brew and I was lost, although my efficiency is always 75 + I was still scratching my head. The yeast was already pitched and I was still thinking about how I could get a sample without risking contamination. In extract it doesn't mean that much, in all grain it means everything to me. I'm like a little kid punching my numbers into BeerSmith looking for efficiency.

If you're a guy here asking why things went wrong (or right) then you need one. As a courtesy to those answering the question, if nothing else.

Other than that, I don't know that I'd say it's essential for everyone. If you're just out to have fun making some sort of beer-like beverage, then you 'll accomplish that most of the time without hydrometers, thermometers, etc. If you want to accomplish a certain style or ensure your product comes out like you thought it might, those are the impliments that you need.

I don't golf, but I'll use that analogy.

If you're perfectly happy smacking the ball around, don't score or don't even use the correct clubs for the shot and you still have a blast, you can say that you went golfing.

The minute you start asking why your shot slices or why your ball rolled father than you wanted because you used a 3 instead of a 9, well, then I think it's time to employ the tools (knowledge) available.

As an all-grain brewer it is invaluable to me. It has helped me become more efficient in my mashes. I would say the only time it might not be necessary is if you are and extract brewer and give your brew plenty of time to ferment.

I've just begun doing some all-grain brews and I use it religiously for that. Once I get my system dialed in, I'll probably toss the thing in a drawer and forget about it. I don't take any gravity readings on my extract brews, 'cause I've gotten enough goofy results after topping off to convince me it's a total waste of time. I'm never in a hurry for the fermentation (at least a week) and clearing stages (usually 3 or more weeks), so I'm not concerned about bottle bombs 'cause they're done by the time I bottle them.

I drink beer because I like it, not because it has alcohol. I couldn't care less about the ABV of any beer I drink. I suppose the day I fall off my chair because my brew was too strong I'll rethink my need for a hydrometer:mug:

You know, I like using the hydrometer but I lazied out on my last 2 brews and basically just topped up with water to get my correct final volume (yes, extract w/grain brews).
I still used it to check FG on those two batches, though. With a known extract recipe, I don't feel like I was a "bad boy" skipping the OG readings...

As an extract brewer, I only really use a hydrometer before bottling if I remember to be sure that things are as they should be.

I think, at least in my situation, the thermometers are much more important tools to my brewing process.

I could brew without one.
I have the experience to guess if it's done but I won't, I use the hydrometer.

It confirms what I think.
I use it when mashing to confirm I'm getting good effieciency and conversion.
I use it to confirm I've boiled down enough to hit my post boil OG.
Then I use it before I keg to confirm it's finished fermenting and is at the required FG.

That way I know my mash temp gave me the correct ratio of fermentables/unfermentables and that the yeast behaved. If I didn't want or need to know that lot then I wouldn't use it.

They only cost £4.

Not necessary... though I use it alot. I use it to see how good my mash was I use it to calculate abv but if there weren't such a thing I'd get along just fine. It would be a bummer to not be able to tell your friends what % your beer is though. :D

I voted necessary, helps me brew better. I don't use it often though. When I change my methods I will use it for a couple batches, but like someone else said, I have a system. I would rather leave it alone than risk contamination. Besides, the lids I have on my bucket are real hard to get off. 1-2-3 works for me.

Yuri_Rage said:
My hydrometer acts as my all grain report card. Based on its reading, I can tell how well I did with the mash. If the result is unexpected, I try to find a reason and fix it for next time. The added bonus is that I know exactly how potent my beer is.

+1 for me. I like to know the ABV too.

with some experience, you *should* be able to make good beer without one.

but reproducing great beers, consistently...pretty much mandates use of a hydrometer in my book.

When I brewed with extract, I thought hydros were foolish. Now that I'm all grain, I see it as an important tool to determine if I've done everything properly.

I voted necessary, but I know good beer can be brewed without one... particularly extract. But I do AG and here are some of the reasons I find it necessary for me:

-Check mash efficiency
-Verify fermentation is complete
-Lagers- when to do diacetyl rest/transfer to secondary
-ABV
-Compare OG/FG to see if it fits within the BJCP style I'm making

The hydrometer is the second most important piece of brewing equipment I own, second only to my noteboook. I would be lost without my brewing notes and recipes.

I agree with everything Cheese said. If you are doing extract, all you're reallly using it for is to measure the alc%. Once you go all-grain, the hydrometer is your best friend. It's the first step in making great beer consistantly.

I voted necessary, although I dont know if that is the proper term. One could quite easily make good beer, all grain or extract, without the use of a hydrometer. However, I like to know my efficiency and alc and whatnot. One other advantage is stuck fermentations. I had a stout that stuck at 1.030, down from 1.056, that I fixed using enzymes. Had I not been using a hydrometer, I would not have known that, and that beer would have turned out very bad IMO.

:D Can't let go of this one can you? Mr. Muncher

I started out all grain. If you do your home work you should know the approx.
ABV % by your grain bill & boil time, if you have clue about what you doing. If you need a Hydrometer to confirm you haven't F*** Up that's kinda sad.

Remember the majority of people voted for Bill Clinton, G.H.W. Bush, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter and G.W. Bush the second time. Just goes to show the majority can be wrong.;) LMAO

I use it, but sometimes forget. Not using a hydrometer has never made a bit of difference for me. I know that it CAN make a difference in some situations, so I voted "Could Take it or Leave it".

dibby33 said:
Why should you not use one. That is the question that should be asked here.

This whole tread stems from a newbe's question the other day about whether or not hydrometer testing was necessary. In which Muncher and others assured the OP that it was. I on the other hand assured him that it was not and that if he used good sanitation his beer would more than likely be OK.

So then the debated turned to the meaning of necessary .

Then another newbe said he didn't know if his wort had started to ferment and Muncher told him the only way to know was to have taken a hydrometer reading of the OG and subsequent reading. I asked him (the newbe) a couple of questions. And told him to give it a week then look for signs of krausen if there were none the wort would taste sweet. And I told him if there were no visible signs of krausening then he should repitch.

So that's how we got here. I never advised anyone not to use a hydrometer. And so this Poll about whether or not hydrometer readings are necessary.

And not whether or not it is a good idea to use the hydrometer.

abracadabra said:
This whole tread stems from a newbe's question the other day about whether or not hydrometer testing was necessary. In which Muncher and others assured the OP that it was...

:D I just figured there hadn’t been a lively debate lately… :D

But now that you mention it, since we're paraphrasing these other threads...let's at least offer a reference so as not to loose anything in the translation.

abracadabra said:
Then another newbe said he didn't know if his wort had started to ferment and Muncher told him the only way to know was to have taken a hydrometer reading of the OG and subsequent reading. I asked him (the newbe) a couple of questions. And told him to give it a week then look for signs of krausen if there were none the wort would taste sweet. And I told him if there were no visible signs of krausening then he should repitch.

The other thread

I have a refractometer and a hydrometer, but lately i haven't been using either. I'm all-grain, but my system is in a state of flux (still building it up as a get parts/time) so I don't have a stable process to start refining.

about the only things i try to watch are the crush and i try to be somewhat predictive of temp....though I've gone much more RDWHAHB lately on temp

Back