Mach Pump Fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricksox

Reaction score
Hey guys, can any of you tell me which fitting or adapter I should pick up to avoid connecting my ball valve directly to the pastic fitting on the march pump I just ordered?

I heard connecting the valve directly to the pump could damage the plastic pump threading so I'd like to not do that haha. Thanks!

Rick

Someone correct me, but threads are threads. Be careful threading it on and don't plan to remove it very often, but attach whatever you want to your pump.

I understand that threads are threads but thanks for enlightening me anyway. I've read that after a while brass and stainless can wear down the plastic threads on these pumps so that's why I was asking.

Well ricksox I guess I'd look for a plastic bushing that you can make up on the pump if you don't want to use stainless or brass. But I'm thinking that if you use some teflon tape and don't over torque, the metal fittings would be fine.
Good luck!
Cheers

I think it's nonsense. I've had metal fittings on my March for 6 years. If you know from experience that you can't thread things together without cross threading, I guess it's insurance but ehhhhh.

I think we can all agree that one of the perks of putting together your own brewery is that you decide whats important and whats not.

I personally got them because its my first march pump and dont want to jack the threads up my first go of it.

Oh and bobby my silicone tubing i just ordered got shipped and delivered crazy fast. I wont get to see it for a week and half but thank you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling anyone silly for being concerned about it. I just want to make sure people are aware that the threads don't melt off the pump by looking at it funny. I've changed out the metal fittings on my march head at least three times since I got it. Teflon tape and not cross threading is the key.

I have the valve directly on the pump on mine as well. I used Teflon and don't see any issue. Sure the plastic threads are softer than metal, just don't crank the valve on with a 3ft long wrench.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling anyone silly for being concerned about it. I just want to make sure people are aware that the threads don't melt off the pump by looking at it funny. I've changed out the metal fittings on my march head at least three times since I got it. Teflon tape and not cross threading is the key.

How many wraps around with the teflon tape? How many turns past when you feel first resistance? I (obviously) don't want to cross-thread, and I want to have a tight enough seal so that it won't leak.

Without any tape, my type F camlock on the pump head gets tight at only 1/3 of a turn from the start. If I put on tape and hand tighten, I might get a total of a 2/3 turn from the start until it is tight and I stop. Does that seem right...is that enough?

Hmm, I hope you mean camlock type A because an F is male thread just like the March. 2/3rds of a turn doesn't seem right to me. I suppose there is some tolerance issues at work here and being that your pump is new, the threads are a little too rough for a hand tightening to be good enough. The absolute most important thing is to be sure that you're not cross threading before you put a wrench on the fitting.

I bought a used march a few years ago on the cheap because it was cross threaded. Turned out he only cross threaded a very small amount of threads so I just ground them off with a dremel. As long as you dont cross thread it down all the threads its not a big deal.

Hmm, I hope you mean camlock type A because an F is male thread just like the March. 2/3rds of a turn doesn't seem right to me. I suppose there is some tolerance issues at work here and being that your pump is new, the threads are a little too rough for a hand tightening to be good enough. The absolute most important thing is to be sure that you're not cross threading before you put a wrench on the fitting.

Oops, yes...it is a Camlock Type A (not F). I guess I'll just have to tighten until the point I don't have a leak, and be careful to not cross-thread. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks to WalterAtMarchPump's help for a replacement housing, everything fits like you'd expect now and I'm good to go. I attached my Type A Camlock to the PUMP-IN and my 3-piece ball valve to the PUMP-OUT (both with 3 wraps of teflon tape and a hand tighten) without any problems at all, super smooth.

I just have to say that March has stellar customer service, and I'm a very happy customer. :rockin:

Back