'Non-spiced' Pumpkin Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastenova

Reaction score
I would like to make a pumpkin ale but am not trying for the traditional "Pumpkin Pie" ale - I want to taste a bit more of the pumpkin than the cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc. cover up a bit.

I was thinking along the lines of a somewhat nutty, pumpkin ale with a bit of fresh ginger spice. I would like to use oat malt for a nutty flavor, flaked oats for body, a whole pie pumpkin (~5 lbs whole) that I'll cook a bit before I mash, and probably 2-row, victory, and biscuit malts. I'd add a fair amount of freshly grated ginger to the boil and maybe a little more in the primary. It would be lightly hopped (<20 IBUs) with some English hops used for aromatics (E.K. Goldings?) This would be fermented with the clean California Ale yeast.

Any input is appreciated!

I would warn away from using ginger as a primary flavor, I just dumped a pumpkin ale because I couldn't get rid of the ginger flavor. I only used .5 t. ginger powder in the boil along with my other spices, but the ginger overpowered everything. It wouldn't age out either, if anything it got stronger with time. If your goal is to taste more of the pumpkin, I would go with something more subtle than ginger. A couple oz. of molasses would compliment the pumpkin flavors well I think.

OK, well I ended up brewing this weekend, here's the recipe I came up with:

8.0 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Victory
1.5 lbs Flaked Oats
1.0 lbs Malted Oats
1.0 lbs Biscuit
1.0 lbs Rice Hulls

3.5 lbs roasted pumpkin (small pie pumpkin, originally about 5 lbs, gutted and quartered, toasted in the oven at 350* for 45 minutes)

.5 oz Magnum (60)
.5 oz Mt. Hood (10)

Whirlfloc tablet (15)

WLP-001 California Ale Yeast, 2L starter

OG: 1.060

The mash/sparge went pretty bad, I missed the strike temp (I blame the added mass of the pumpkin for that), I think that my equipment is at fault though. I used a lot of rice hulls and a thin mash (~1.8q/lb) to prevent any issues with the pumpkin and still had an insanely slow sparge (I was expecting it to be slow with the pumpkin but this was ridiculous). Everything else was smooth sailing, I'm not expecting much pumpkin character but hopefully a little will come through, I'll be adding a couple of vanilla beans to the primary after fermentation.

This came out good. I ended up making a vanilla extract with about 8 oz of vodka and 6 vanilla beans cut into pieces. I added about 3 tablespoons of this extract to the batch after I kegged it, and may consider adding a little bit more. There is a hint of pumpkin flavor and it's bready too! Nice body from the oats, and actually came out pretty clear.

Back