Greyish Black Starter- Thames Valley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jermillion

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a very dark starter. I am using Wyeast Thames Valley. I burned a bit of the malt on the bottom of my beaker, but after things settled it came out a medium brown color after finishing the boil. The next morning it turned greyish black and has now cleared to a dark coffee.

I haven't checked the smell and I have a packet of dried yeast on hand to use tomorrow if it smells weird. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Never happens to me, but I think that is better to prepare a new wort to add yeast. Burn wort itself should not affect yeast growth. I wondering if you add your dark starter to the wort, you will also add off-flavors (burnt taste/aroma), which is not good (unless you rinse yeast before to add it to the wort).

When you burnt the malt you changed the color of the malt. 1oz of Roasted Malt or Black patent will significantly change the color of a 5 gallon batch.

I imagine just of a touch of burnt malt would turn your starter black.

Back