yeast harvesting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleFred

Reaction score
i know the bottom layer is trub..my question is do i just decant the fluid of the trub into another container then cool it in the fridge? also how long can i keep it there

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What gets me is that he says to make a starter,then talks about adding the jar to a smack pack or vial of new yeast.? I thought the whole point was to avoid buying more for a while? I'm saving the yeast out of the Cooper's sparkling ale I've been drinking to cultivate for an upcoming batch.

Ok,I'll have to watch that again,thought that didn't sound right. after watching my bottling video,Then his,I'm learning that one must slow down & speak loud & clear so the camera's sound system picks it up well. Note to self...Have a beer before watching/listening to this stuff...:D

so this is all i got after a night in the fridge ..the yeast is wyeast 1056 which has medium to low flocculation...so my question is should i pour the whole thing intommy starter...seems like alot , or should i decant the liquid off, im concerned because the clarity of the "beer" in the two jars is pretty cloudy.yeasties still is suspension?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
forgot to ask also "if" there was a chance that a contamination occurred , would there be any way i'd know prior to pitching?

Back