Beer Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaingers

Reaction score
I have tried to find definative answers on the correct temperature to age beer. I have viewed poindexter's video, but he does not specify what to do with the beer once it has carbonated at room temp for 3 to 4 weeks. Will a beer continue to age correctly at room temperature (70 degrees) or should it be placed in a fridge? Yes I'm a noob:ban:

Beer storage can probably be summarized in two words: dark and cool. Unless you're planning on multiple months of storage for a beer that needs the aging (ie. Barleywine, Trippel, etc.), a closet in the basement will be enough. Just make sure to keep the beer at stable temperatures.

Once you start planning for on keeping a beer for a year or more (not advisable for most styles) do you need to start thinking about proper cellaring. You can always get an electric wine cellar or put it in the fridge, altough a fridge is a harsh environment (mold spores abound, UV light, etc.)

If you just want it to keep fresh as long as possible, keep it in the fridge. Heat makes a beer go stale faster.

If you want it to age and mature, you want it more like 50-60 fahrenheit. Consistent temperature is also important. Beer hates going from hot to cold to hot to cold even in the bottle. So it would be better to have it a bit too cold or a bit too hot than all over the place.

Back