Upgrading to Full Boil! Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bioguy1975

Reaction score
Hi gang,

After several partial boil extract batches, I am planning to change over to full boil. I'd like to get some recommendations from the group...

1. I'd like to go directly to a 10 gal brewpot; my intent is to boil 7 gallons starting volume to get 6 gal - 5.5 gal in my primary fermenter so I end up with 5 gallons in my secondary. Would I be better off to get a 7.5 gal brewpot for this?

2. My current burner is my stovetop, 16,000 BTUs. Is that sufficient for 10 gal brewpot with 7 gallons of liquid? For a 7.5 gal brewpot with 7 gal of liquid? If not, any burner recommendations?

3. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks much in advance!

1. get the 10 gallon brew pot. the 7.5 will keep trying to boil over with 7 gallons of wart in it.

3. make sure to adjust any recipes you use for the boil and batch size you are doing. remember to maintain the boil gravity of the recipe so the IBUs will come out right.

I'm just at the same point of getting ready for full boil. I ordered a 10 gallon kettle and perhaps should have gone with 15; trying to do it in a smaller than 10g pot would be insane IMO.

You might be able to boil 7.5 gallons on your stove (I don't think I could on my glasstop Jenn Air; it takes forever to boil 3.5 gallons) but it's likely smart to get a burner. Go big or go home!

You'll be fine with a 7.5 Gallon pot if it saves a significant amount of money. Just use FermcapS drop. No need to worry about a boil over.
IMO a 10G boil pot is pointless. Either get 7-7.5 for a 5G batch, or get a 13-15G pot for a full boil 10G batch.

I would recommend the 10 gallon. I do full boils in a 9 gallon boil pot and comes close to boiling over when I start the boil using 6.5 - 7 gallons.

You'll probably cut your heating time in half with propane (although don't quote me on that). I have a Bayou Classic propane burner and it works great.

I currently do 5 gal batches in a 7.5 gallon pot - kind of a pain. I use it because it is what I have and it works. Spent my money on other things like carboys and immersion chiller. When I have a few extra bucks I am going to get a bigger pot

I get many, small boil overs until I have boiled of the first 1/2 gallon or so. I have used Fermcap, just to cut down on the hassle, but I would prefer not to use.

Go with the 10 gallon pot, you will not regret the extra $$$ up front. You will get sick of working in a pot that is just a little bit too small. Keep in mind a well made aluminum pot is a lot cheaper than stainless steel.

Second Question - boil on stove?
I have done some full boils on my electric stove, and it is just barely able to boil a full pot, but it takes forever. Invest a few bucks in a propane "turkey fryer" type burner and stand and you will not regret it.

The trade off for buying a 7.5 gallon brew pot will be additional anxiety and constant vigilance for the dastardly swift boil over. IMO it’s not worth it, go with the 10.

+1 on the turkey fryer. When my turkey fryer regulator broke I did 2 full boil batches on my electric kitchen stove, after much wasted time and plenty of cursing I vowed never to brew on that POS ever again!

Stovetop for 7.5 gallons = 2 hours to bring to boil get a turkey fryer propane burner or heatstick to help.

Thanks everyone - good advice from all!

Based on what I am seeing, 10 gal is the best way to go. Next step is the turkey fryer or bayou classic. I'm going to do a bit more research down these routes, and let everyone know what I do. Thanks!

If you want to get water boiling quickly on a stove, use 2 burners... Put 1-2 gallons in your big pot, and then 1 in your small and dump it in when boiling... saves a lot of time...

i just did my first full boil last week. I have a 10 gallon pot. i start with 6.25 gallons and it got within about an inch of the top of the pot during the heaviest boiling point. another thing you will need is beersmith! if you dont already have it its a great tool. will help you convert 2.5 gallon recipes to your own boil size. mainly hop addition changes.

Back