Kegerator too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mramann

Reaction score
Hi kids,

I recently built a new kegerator, a stand up that fits one corny. It's the type that cools by cooling the freezer section. Problem is that, even on its lowest setting, it's cooling all the way to 35 degrees or so. Not and ideal serving temp. Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forums, but I don't have time to dig today. Supposed to be working or something silly...

Any ideas on how to warm this sucker up? I'd like to avoid having to install an external thermostat, but I have one waiting around in case that's the only answer. I was hoping to save it for my lagering freezer, but oh well.

is it a freezer? A fridge should not behave like that. Temp controller is the way to go. How do you define lowest setting?

Hi kids,

I recently built a new kegerator, a stand up that fits one corny. It's the type that cools by cooling the freezer section. Problem is that, even on its lowest setting, it's cooling all the way to 35 degrees or so. Not and ideal serving temp. Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forums, but I don't have time to dig today. Supposed to be working or something silly...

Any ideas on how to warm this sucker up? I'd like to avoid having to install an external thermostat, but I have one waiting around in case that's the only answer. I was hoping to save it for my lagering freezer, but oh well.

I have the exact same problem with an old Danby mini-bar fridge. It has a top section that acts as a freezer.

In order to fit the keg, I had to remove the plastic compartment that delimits the freezer section and the fridge section.

No matter what temp setting I choose on the knob, it always goes down to 40*F. Not as bad as your 35*F but still.

I just wait for my pint to warm-up a bit after serving it.

Sorry I couldn't bring you any solution, but just chiming in to say that I'm in the same situation and feel your pain. :(

Maybe you could put your thermostat (after some careful disassembly) in a container with starsan solution (anti freeze?) in the fridge to see if it helps. It will (should) help warm it up a little, but not sure how much. Other then that, temp controller to override the manufacturer thermostat... Good luck (both mramann and PtotheL)!

This is crazy I was just going to post something about this tonight. I have the same thing going on, an old standup GE fridge. I have had my thermometer in there for the past week and it stays right at 34 with the knob being just above the setting of defrost. I cant make it any warmer in there and if I turn it up it goes below freezing. I think I have just resigned myself to getting a cheap johnson controller?

I've seen refrigerators act very strange when the ambient temperature is out of the manufacturer's specified range. If the kegerator is in a room the is less than 55-60 degrees that might explain it. They are designed for being in roughly room temperature rooms.

use an external temp control. it will cycle the fridge on and off when needed.

I know it'd be much less exacting, but with some trial and error couldn't you put it on a light timer and have it pop on and off throughout the day keeping it cool, but not frosty? I'm thinking like those light timers for when you are on vacation I don't think it's ideal, but it's definitely cheaper; $15 for the light control vs. $52 for the JC controller.

-OCD

I know it'd be much less exacting, but with some trial and error couldn't you put it on a light timer and have it pop on and off throughout the day keeping it cool, but not frosty? I'm thinking like those light timers for when you are on vacation I don't think it's ideal, but it's definitely cheaper; $15 for the light control vs. $52 for the JC controller.

-OCD

You could probably monkey with this idea to make it work, finding a way to time it so that the temperature is a little warmer. Great idea.

With the light timer you could even try a ceramic heat lamp (used for reptile aquariums) but then the price of that with the timer you might as well get the temp controller.

Yes, the sort-of cheapo timer works, if you don't mind changing the settings whenever the ambient temperature changes.

You need to get an appliance timer that can be set in 15 minute intervals, because one or two on-off cycles a day won't cut it.

RE: Room temperature - is generally a constant if someone else is paying the bills, but in my house it's 62F in the winter and 78F in the summer. In between, it's in between.

lots of great idea's on here but i have a simple solution...get a external temperature controller and use it...amazon.com $50 and you wont ever have to worry again...$50 for the perfect solution and no worries for future kegs is the way to go...i spent time trying to set temp perfectly and it was just such a hassle...now after work i have no worries when i want a perfectly temp'd and carb'd beer...well worth $50 if you ask me...NO QUESTION

Back