Gonna call it 'Naked Pitcher.' Now to write the recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopLife

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe for session style blond ale. I want something that keeps you coming back for more. I envision a clean yeast profile first. I only want a slight sweetness to the beer. I have Palisade, Chinook, Comet, Serebrianka, and Bravo in the freezer. It would be nice to incorporate some of the hops on hand, but I intend to buy more Cascade and Centennial this week too. Here is a quick rough draft. Post your input and we will build a sweet recipe.

10 gallons

12# Two row
2# Vienna
.5# Belgian Biscuit

60 min
1 oz chinook

15 min
1 oz Serebrianka (new to me)

flame out/steep 15 minutes
1oz Serebrianka
1oz Comet

Dry hop

2 oz Serebrianka

Kind of a shot in the dark...new style and new hops

If your trying to do a blond I would tone down the hops to just a 60 and 15.

I just made a blond and added lemongrass at flameout and it turned out awesome. Slight sweet malt profile followed by analogue lemon dry finish.

Okay I have removed the Flameout and dry hops. I felt like that might be going too far so I added back some of the hops into the 15 min. This is the revision:

10 gallons

12# Two row
2# Vienna
.5# Belgian Biscuit

60 min
1 oz chinook

15 min
1oz Comet

only 3 oz in 10 gallons still seems kinda lightly hopped to me.

If your truly going for a blond by bjcp standard that is still way too many hops. 1 to 1 1/2 oz would be plenty. You really only want about 20 to 28 ibu.

I think with 3 oz you're getting into pale ale territory because those hops will dominate the beer with such a soft malt profile.

If your truly going for a blond by bjcp standard that is still way too many hops. 1 to 1 1/2 oz would be plenty. You really only want about 20 to 28 ibu.

I think with 3 oz you're getting into pale ale territory because those hops will dominate the beer with such a soft malt profile.

Okay... it is hard for me to let the hops go. I can reach 24 IBU by reducing the Chinook to 1/2 oz. I could also drop the Comet at 15 minutes and go to 25 IBU. You seem to have a good handle on the style. What would you do. Or would you change the recipe altogether?

It really depends what you are going for just because bjcp says do this for a blond ect doesn't mean something a little different is bad. I love hops as it sounds you do.

I would reduce chinook to where your total ibu with the the other hops equals about 28.

What is the flavor profiles of the other hops? If it were me I think I would lean toward all chinook. This would lend a nice background of citrus to the beer.

The serebrianka is new to me is said to have a 'perfume' like aroma. The comet is very sweet and citrusy.

I think I have settled on this:

10 gallons

12# Two row
2# Vienna
.5# Belgian Biscuit

60 min
.5 oz chinook

15 min
1 oz Chinook

OG 1.041
SRM 5
IBU 25

If it does not have the hops I like I will brew it again and add the original Flameout addition. I checked other recipes, as it stands I look to be mid range on hop rates so I think it will be good.

I used the serebrianka in another beer and hated it. I am not sure if this hop would be good for many styles. I pick up weird notes of woodiness and spicyness from this hop. If I brew this recipe I will be keeping it simple with Willamette and cascade.

Can't believe I wrote this recipe a year ago and have not had time to fit it into the pipeline.

Back