Esb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1882-PC Thames Valley II
Yeast Starter
1500 ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Tasting Notes
n/a
This is the best beer I've ever made. I've never used Thames Valley I, so I can't compare, but TVII worked very well. Next time I brew this I'll use TVI and post a report.

Amount Item
9.25 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)
1.25 lb Simpsons Medium Crystal (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Goldings, US [4.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, US [4.50 %] (1 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs Thames Valley II (Wyeast Labs #1882-PC)

Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb

60 minute mash at 154F.

Primary 3 weeks, keg 3 weeks, drink.

well, I brewed something similar using Wyeast West Yorkshire.

9.50 lb Warminster Floor-Malted Maris Otter (4.5 SRM)
0.75 lb Simpsons Medium Crystal (60.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal (160.0 SRM)

2.25 oz Goldings, US [4.14 %] (60 min)
0.60 oz Goldings, US [4.14 %] (20 min)
0.60 oz Goldings, US [4.50 %] (0 min)

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)

1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469-PC) 1500mL starter

This fermented cool, low 60's, but so did the Thames Valley II. Definitely not as estery as TV, but it is very clean and dry. Not sure how I feel about the grain bill changes, right now I like the original better. The dark crystal just seems "muddy". Maybe dropping it to 2oz would be better. The change in base malt might be a factor, I've never used that particular MO. I'd also keep the flameout addition to 1oz, or possibly dryhop with a small amount of goldings.

Extra Dark Crystal gives out an extreme vinous, raisin and plum aroma that can muddy the toffee, sweet caramel that medium crystal gives. In the beers that I have used both (Old Ale, Amber, Ebglish Brown) it easily overpowers the lighter crystals at a ratio of 1:4.

How much attenuation did you get from the 1469 ? I have a landlord clone scheduled with it (probably in March) and I would save the yeast for another brew but I'm not sure for what. Would it attenuate enough to do a good Oatmeal Stout ?

I got 77%, 1.050 -> 1.011. 1469 is noted to be a good attenuator.

Yes, next time I will cut the Extra Dark down to 2oz at most, maybe 1.

Or try it with only the extra dark crystal. I like that rich, complex sweetness in my English beers, but I have used it in an American Amber and found it so-so. The beer is still very good, but the plum and raisin are distracting from the American citrusy hop character.

Just brewed this recipe over the weekend. The only difference is I used WYeast London ESB Ale # 1968. The brew day went very smooth, I ended up with a S.G of 1.056. It is fermenting now @ 64 degrees F.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out

Just brewed this recipe over the weekend. The only difference is I used WYeast London ESB Ale # 1968. The brew day went very smooth, I ended up with a S.G of 1.056. It is fermenting now @ 64 degrees F.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out

Post back the results, I use 1968 in my Old Ale and had good results, but I still want to tryit in ESB

yes, please post results, i'm interested in hearing.

i've heard thames valley II is going to be released for the 2nd quarter this year, so I'm going to grab some east kent goldings and rebrew this then.

maybe i'll brew it before then with thames valley I and see how it compares...

drinking this now.(well something close) i rounded the numbers on the grain to 10lbs and 1.5 lbs. because thats how i had to order it, so i just used it. also skipped the irish moss, and used a different yeast. i think it was s04. the website i ordered from i didn't see thames vally. any way. its really good!!! feels like i'm drinkin in an english pub or something. malty and kinda carmely, little roasty. effin delicious. thanks for the recipe motorbrewer! exactly what i was looking for!

This one turned out very nice. It's very smooth and malty with just enough fruity notes to make it interesting. Really a very authentic english character. The beer finished out at 1.020 so there is a nice sweetness to the beer (without being overpowering). I may try this recipe again with a different yeast strain to see the differences.

excellent! thanks for the feedback guys. TV2 is out and i haven't made this yet...been too busy to brew. that'll have to change.

Back