Propane or Natural Gas. Which is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
Just finished building my 3 pot brewing stand out of 11 gauge angle iron. Now I need to plumb up the burners. Since I am starting from scratch, what would be a better choice, Natural gas or propane? Does one burn hotter than the other? I also found a source for Multi Jet Burners (NG or Propane). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

CircleC-brewer

Propane burns hotter than natural gas. It's also a portable fuel source, whereas natural gas isn't. Natural gas is quite a bit cheaper than propane and doesn't run out as long as your gas company can still supply gas to your house. They both work fine for brewing. I use natural gas. Which is better? It depends on what your needs are. If you rig is going to sit in one place all the time, you aren't going to take it on the road, then I think the cost and supply factors weigh heavily on the side of natural gas, regardless of the heat difference.

+1 for never running out and being cheaper. If you brew a lot, the convenience of an "endless" supply will be appreciated.

I dont have acces to NG in the garage so I use propane. If I did I'd probably want my rig to be convertable, NG at home and propane to take the rig on the road.

I've got a NG port in the garage I'm thinking about taking advantage of. I've got a cheap turkey fryer now but I'm more than willing to switch to something else. Can you guys post some links for NG burners that'll help both the OP and me.

My friend who has the house that I brew at has it best.

His grandfather's ranch that he lives on runs on propane since NG isn't available. That's right, his stovetop is propane.

We're hooking the turkey fryer regulator into a spare gas lead. We figure the 5000 gallon tank or whatever it is can miss a few extra pounds of propane a couple times a month.

Back