New Book out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I saw a new book yesterday at Borders.

Basic Homebrewing: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started (Paperback)
by Jim Parker, Stacy Tibbetts (Editor)

Very colorful. A lot of pictures. However the book is VERY scant. We are talking about 70 pages and I think whoever figured the price of the book was on some seriously messed up homebrew. It is selling at Borders for $19.95! I mean... this book is INFORMATION SCANT! Barely gives you enough to realy get basic skills down and I think I got a lot more from the pictures then what was written.

Imperial Walker said:
Man.. how much info do you REALLY want about the food at Denny's??? Some things are best left unsaid.

-walker
In some what irony, there have been three seperate, unrelated shootings at Denny's in CA this week.

Hmm.... so in other words this book is so bad that it would be more interesting to talk about Dennys then the book itslelf. My thoughts exactly. :D

I keep hoping that a GOOD new book will come out on home brewing but other than re-makes of Charlie's books there is nothing. Maybe it's all been written?

Rich, I kind of suspect that unless some new technology comes along, it's all been written. In fact, I think very little has changed in homebrew since Dave Line's books in the late 70s or early 80s. Little things, and lots of info is more widely available, but there is no "new info" in the new books. Just a reworking of products, techniques etc. And ole Charlie P put sooo much life into his books, that everything else just falls flat.

After hearing what you guys said about the book, "Designing Great Beers", I did take another look at it (in another thread). When I first saw it long time ago I thought it was rather dense and it was not what I was looking for at the time. Now... well I have a bunch of books in my library about hombrew and wine making (probably about a dozen actualy). Like Sasquatch said.... many of them say basically the same thing with exceptions. "Designing Great Beers" is certainly a different book. Now I can absorb the "densness". He has a lot to say and I rather am enjoying the historical tibbits he gives.

Back