birds eating my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben the brewman

Reaction score
some of my hops are growing on a trellis that is 8 feet tall and 5 feet wide and they are doing great. the only thing is half way up the trellis there is a ledge and when some of the vines reached the ledge the birds ate some of the growth buds now they are at the top where there is another ledge and guess what the damn birds did it again. so now my biggest vines are stuck at 8 foot tall hopefully the others will grow fast enough to pass the ledge at they top so they dont get eaten to. has anybody else had this problem or is it just me i guess that a hop vine swinging in the wind kinda looks like a worm especially if i was a stupid bird:mad:

There are a lot of birds that live on vegetation, although I haven't seen any in my hops. If you have Canadian geese in the area and the ledge is large enough to support them, that might be the problem.

If you put some spikey things on the ledge they wont be able to land up there. or you could invest in some lizards to eat the birds. when the lizards get out of control, get some snakes to eat the lizards, then some gorillas to eat the snakes

If you put some spikey things on the ledge they wont be able to land up there. or you could invest in some lizards to eat the birds. when the lizards get out of control, get some snakes to eat the lizards, then some gorillas to eat the snakes

that sounds like a great idea its a wonder i didnt think of it a long time ago.:cross:

Buy a plastic Owl... It scares away the small birds. Walmart has them...

635017.jpg

http://www.pestproducts.com/bird.htm

nice- i used to have those for wood peckers...atleast you wont have to worry about the plants or your wood getting pecked

Back