Kombucha vs Water Kefir... types of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legbuh

Reaction score
When making water kefir we were always told that high mineral (ie well water) was way better than distilled, RO, etc. That the kefir grains thrived on the minerals in the water.

Now I see people brewing KT and say to use distilled or RO?

Is this a division among KT brewers or is RO/distilled better than higher mineral water like well water and why? :)

from personal experience my WK thrived on the well water, not so much on RO. The grains multiplied at least 2x faster.

I don't make WK but I do brew KT with distilled only. I use the distilled because it is devoid or all the nasty toxic **** in tap water, like fluoride and flushed prescription medications.
Also, using distilled or RO you can control the minerals by adding the ones you want in the quantity you want.
Some people don't care and use whatever sludge pours from the tap.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't make WK but I do brew KT with distilled only. I use the distilled because it is devoid or all the nasty toxic **** in tap water, like fluoride and flushed prescription medications.
Also, using distilled or RO you can control the minerals by adding the ones you want in the quantity you want.
Some people don't care and use whatever sludge pours from the tap.

Tell us how you really feel :D :D

I never mentioned city water. I said well water. Big difference.

But thanks for taking the question in a different direction. :)

No need for passive aggression here friend.
I can only comment on why I use the water I chose for KT. Additionally, I live in the city where we only have municipal and store bought.
You would need to obtain a water report for your well. If it contains all of the minerals you need and nothing extra that you don't want, then there is nothing better for you to use than that. However, if your well water has undesirable qualities, you'll need to go with the RO/distilled and buffer or mineralize as needed for your desired outcome.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back