First wheat beer, rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
Working with a homemade coleman cooler mash tun with stainless steel braid. Never brewed a wheat beer and was wondering if i should use rice hulls. If so, how much do i use and how do i use them? cheers

zodiak3000 said:
Working with a homemade coleman cooler mash tun with stainless steel braid. Never brewed a wheat beer and was wondering if i should use rice hulls. If so, how much do i use and how do i use them? cheers

Use a couple handfuls, just toss them into the mash mix well. Just remember that you may need to adjust your strike temp a little to hit your target due to the larger mass.

I use rice hulls on every brew I do, I figure its cheap insurance. I usually use 1/4 lb on light grain bill And a 1/2lb for a mid to heavy grain bill.

If you need them its better to have them on hand and added before mashing. I usually rinse mine since there is all sorts of crap in them usually. Use a collander. Usually unless I am using >40% wheat or rye I do not use them but they will deffinitly not hurt you or the beer...They help to keep it all loose and lautering quickly.

I was doing 50% wheat 1st time last weekend and got stack with a "handfull" on a batch sparge. Had to add some more to ~ 1/2 lbs total and it was OK.

Probably dont need it, but why not.

Add a handful or to to ensure a good easy sparge and no sticky issues.

Back