long long fermentation. you guys think the beer is ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcopen

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your opinon on this. I brewed a ag blond ale and used us-05 yeast no stater and pinched at 68 last Saturday 7-2 with sg of 1.052. It started fermenting very active the next day and has not stoped. I have changed the air lock out three times so far because of it getting full and plugged with blow off stuff aNd this morning the stopper popped off because the air lock was plugged again. You guys think evey thing is ok with it or am I over thinking this?

its probably fine. you should set up a blow off tube next time. i think most of us have had fermentations blow out the top like this.

I do put blow of tubes on them but I have three beers going right now and didn't have one for this glass carboy. thanks for the reply ill just keep watching it and hope it stop soon and keep changing out air locks.

I used US-05 for the first time about a month and a half ago. I had a similarly long active portion of the fermentation. But I also did a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy so I had no blowoff problems. I just attributed the long active part of the fermentation to the honey in the recipe. BTW it was a honey basil beer at SWBO's request.

It is a three piece air lock but the hole thing is filling up with stuff. So I think the tube would just get gum up too? This is by far the best " or worst " fermentation I have had there is 3" of head on top of the beer. Ill try to take a pic tonight when I get home.

Your beer is just fine. By the way, when you're using dried yeast, you don't need to ad O2. It probably won't hurt, but it's unnecessary.

So no starter and no o2 with dried yeast and don't have to worry about going bad in shipping ? Sounds so much cleaner and faster why use anything else?

I've never heard not to add oxygen to dried yeast. but other than that one reason to use liquid yeast is variety. you can get more specific to the style with liquid yeast. another thing to remember here is that home brewing is all about personal choice. people use different things for different reasons and still come out with great beers. it's really about what you like to do and what works for you.

Well I'm all about cheap easy and getting drunk :) . The beer has just stopped fermenting ans starting to clear up nicely

I was reading yesterday in Papazian's "Home Brewer's Companion", that if you leave all the trub in the brew it adds nutrients and you don't need to add as much oxygen. If you filter all the trub out, or secondary, then adding oxygen is a more important.

So for me, being lazy and doing what I do pays off again. Do y'all need another reason to not secondary or filter your beer? Fermentation advice starts on page 160.

No only prob I have with not filtering the trub is that it would plug up my therminator. So I guess ill add o2 couldn't hurt.

Back