High fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfathermg57

Reaction score
I pitched some Nottingham yeast in an IPA yesterday. Long story short my house is at ~74 degrees and the fermentation bucket is reading a temperature of 78-79

I'm not really too worried about the beer being ruined, but what kind of esters and effects should I expect at that high of a temperature for Notty?

I have never let it get that high, but I tasted an IPA made with notty at high temps. The bubblegum flavor ruined the beer, IMO. Don't know if 80F is high enough to get that flavor, but I would not be surprised.

According to the ale yeast list on home brewer tv,that yeast should be between 66-70F. Said to have a very dry finish,low to medium fruit & fusel alcohol production.

Nottingham is a great yeast under 70 degrees! Over 72 degrees, it can get positively foul tasting. Band-aids, fruitiness, and a generally bad flavor.

You can stick it in a water bath, and add frozen water bottles as needed, to keep it 70 degrees or less!

ok I figured out that my bucket fits in my big pot so I put the fermentation bucket in a water bath in that with some ice in the water bath.

Only downside is my stick on thermometer got soaked but o well.

Back