Brett Brux & Orval Dregs in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My orval clone calls for those in secondary.

I am using white labs brett brux, and plan to do two bottles.

Couple questions...

How exactly do I combine these? Won't it take days to culture up the Orval dregs, and only a day to get the Brett Brux going in a starter? Should I start the dregs on my stir starter, then add some more DME and the vial of brett brux a couple days later?

My understanding (and I very well may be wrong) is that there is no need to make a starter for Brett. Those little buggers are very motivated self starters and they will eat just about anything. Also, unlike saccharomyces (your regular brewing yeast), standard pitching rates dont appply, so I think you will be fine with just pitching the dregs of a few Orval bottles, as long as Orval doesn't use some other kind of yeast for bottling purposes.

I'm concerned the Orval dregs won't have a chance to do much, guess I'll see what happens.

Orval actually does bottle with a different yeast, their primary yeast.

I'm concerned the Orval dregs won't have a chance to do much, guess I'll see what happens.

Orval actually does bottle with a different yeast, their primary yeast.

The brett will munch on all the sugars the sacc leaves behind

Back