what is this platic piece in my sankey coupler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I just ordered my first 5 gallon log from my buddy who owns a berverage store. I ordered a sankey tap for my system and it came in today. I have a question. What is this plastic piece in the top of the beer out and do they need to be replaced? I hope the picture shows up.

platic.jpg

Shouldn't need to replace them sooner than they wear out, and I have had mine for many years now. I take mine out and clean the little ball that plastic piece holds in. Then I use a bottle brush small enough to clean the port and I'm done. The CO2 check valve wears out before the plastic pieces you mentioned, and that is probably due to me removing them.

I don't know if there is a guide for that, but it is easy enough. It is just held in by friction so anything to lift it out without damaging it is fine. Be mindful of the ball, it likes to bounce a lot when it comes flyin' out of the coupler. I remove mine quite a bit using my fermentation technique.

Back