Do hoppy beers make your pee stink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sm007thie

Reaction score
Or is it just me?

I swear if I have a couple of DIPAs or something similar at night, my morning pee is atrocious. Not sure if it's something else that I ate earlier and just a coincident that it seems to coincide with my hoppy beer drinking.

Thought maybe someone could weigh in with an "Oh yeah, that's common knowledge, just like with asparagus." And possibly even enlighten me to the science of it.

been drinking lots of IPA recently, normally drink darker beers and have noticed a smell change. don't know why but i pay attention to the smell of my pee, several cups of coffee lends a certain smell, IPAs do too, but none are as bad as the asparagus.

Beer in general lends a certain smell, but the style doesn't seem to matter (as long as it's a real beer with some yeasties left).

Next time check to see if it's just concentration. If you're drinking a couple of beers, and not re-hydrating, you could just be smelling the same pee. It's just stronger because there's less water for your kidneys to pull out of your system.

I'm pretty sure coffee-pee smells just like sugar smacks (tm)

B

I'm going with the dehydration. If you drink a few DIPAs and not a bunch of water with it, you'll have some concentrated, nasty smelling urine.

I swear hoppy beers change the smell of my flatulence, though...:D

I always thought it smells like sugar smacks, but you also have to thing about all the sugar your drinking. Plus the fact that the IIPA is even more concentrated. Your body uses the water gets rid of the bull****, and it smells like corn sugar.

I suppose it could be dehydration, but it's also possible that it some chemical in the hops that doesn't get broken down by the body. It is then filtered through the kidney and into your bladder. Similar things happen with certain cereal and coffee/creamer (speaking from experience). Also as it's been stated here, asparagus does the same thing.

At risk of posting something out of line, I figured this was relevent.

My girlfriend notices a change when I drink homebrew vs BCM that on a specific night...

And if I ever take a multi-vitamin suppliment, it turns my pee neon!

To add to the mix...I know that B vitamins and a bit of dehydration/concentration can make a pretty strong smelling urine. Further to this, a bottle conditioned beer with lots of yeast will have lots of vitamins in it.

Oh, and several people mentioned the proverbial beer farts: One time after drinking a 6 pack of unfiltered wheat beer...worst gas I ever had...can't remember if I ate anything particular with it, but my friend swears I caused his wife to have an asthma attack!

Hmmmmm, I really don't think it's vitamins. I do take a multivitamin and have for years. I'm all over the smell and color of excess riboflavin on the outs. I don't think it's dehydration either because the smell occurs even with a well hydrated clear urine.

I tend to lean towards Bush 84's idea. I think maybe it's a metabolite of one of the delicious chemicals found in high AAU hops.

Looks like I'm going to have to go scientific and eat a standard diet for a few days and smell my pee after drinking low and high IBU beers. Maybe, I can sneak some samples into the lab at school and run a GCMS on them. Better yet, maybe I should just drop it before HBT and my wife give me the boot for being overly concerned with the origin of my pee smell. I should probably focus on more important things like sharpening my pencils, cleaning under the dishwasher or how not to smell like formaldehyde after hacking on a cadaver.

I have to say, with slightly damp eyes, when I posted this questioned half-buzzed, I wasn't expecting much of a response. Instead, I learned Revvy loves the smell of his pee, Beernik's SWMBO has her hands full, Germelli1's SWMBO has her mouthful and biochemedic is a hazard to anyone with a respiratory ailment. This site rocks.

Never noticed the pee stinking after an IPA session, testing said theory now! However, I have woke up the next morning after "previous testing" and burped and it smelled/tasted of pine and citrus! :rockin:

completely OT:

the other day i harvested my cascades. chewed on a few nugs err cones off the plant. then went inside and had a couple casdillas and the bitterness opened up the taste buds so tapatio actually had some bite!!

completely OT:

the other day i harvested my cascades. chewed on a few nugs err cones off the plant. then went inside and had a couple casdillas and the bitterness opened up the taste buds so tapatio actually had some bite!!

interesting. you might be on to a new culinary genre combining hops with spicy foods to amplify the heat.

I can relate to the funky pee smell...I had about 6 of my American Pale Ale's last night and this morning my urine was atrocious. Funny thing is it wasn't very dark in color as you might imagine with dehydration. It was relatively clear and smelled foul. Dunno if its just the home brew or what but good god!

Vitamin B will turn pee bright neon green with the right concentration, and I definitely notice a difference in aroma depending on what was consumed the evening before.

As for gas, oy. When I was totally new to brewing I made a batch of extract imperial stout, on bottling day my friend and I ran out of bottles. We had already consumed many bottle conditioned european beers, mostly from around the Baltic sea, we then ate massive amounts of rice and beans, after that we finished off the unbottled and primed imperial stout. The next day was spent in complete agony with CO2 moving around inside of us in places we didn't know it could collect, we're pretty sure we diluted our gastric juices enough to allow the yeast to continue fermenting inside our guts for the next several hours...

It was excellent beer, though!

Is your flusher broke? Why do you know what your pee smells like? Please tell me you aren't trying to pitch yeast into your toilet bowl...... :drunk:

I always thought it smells like sugar smacks, but you also have to thing about all the sugar your drinking. Plus the fact that the IIPA is even more concentrated. Your body uses the water gets rid of the bull****, and it smells like corn sugar.

Sugar Smacks was exactly how I was going to describe it. I also, notice the same when I don't drink enough water!! Strange thing is, I like the sugar smacks cereal....I can eat the hell out of them!

Hodmokrin said:
Is your flusher broke? Why do you know what your pee smells like? Please tell me you aren't trying to pitch yeast into your toilet bowl...... :drunk:

Lmao, its so pungent that you cant help but get a whiff while urinating. Ass for these guys talking about it smelling like honey smacks you may want to get checked for diabetes...sweet smelling urine is one of the symptoms. Mine was just straight up rancid smelling...lol

Back