us-05 attenuation!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDuderino

Reaction score
I've used both dry and liquid yeasts with great success, although the last time I used us-05 it attenuated above and beyond what was required. My og was 1.054 and I ended at 1.007 (That's like 86%!). It was a split batch, and the other carboy stopped at 1.013 using wyeast london III.
-I mashed at 152
-Fermented at 68 for three weeks, no secondary
-It was an amber, so I used munich, crystal 60 and crystal 120.

Is this normal for the us05? I don't think my attenuation has been that extreme with this yeast before... Should I just plan for super-attenuation next time? Does anyone have a favorite dry yeast they use that doesn't finish this low? May be it was just a fluke...

that is pretty normal. That stuff is very attenuative. If I am making something I want to dry out, I will use it every time.

US-05 is my go-to, power yeast. It sucks up sugar like a 2 year old and gets the gravity down low, really fast.

It will ferment down to high lager temps and produce ultra clean beer.

:rockin:

Yeah it will go bone dry it you let it, I for one wouldn't mash below 154F when using that yeast. I have actually quite using the Chico strain because it overattenuates and strips maltiness from a beer. If you are going for something that is one dimensionally hoppy it would be alright, but I hate it.

Yeah it will go bone dry it you let it, I for one wouldn't mash below 154F when using that yeast. I have actually quite using the Chico strain because it overattenuates and strips maltiness from a beer. If you are going for something that is one dimensionally hoppy it would be alright, but I hate it.

High mash temperature does not produce maltiness.

Yeah, US-05 is a great yeast. Though I really wish it would flocculate more.

High mash temperature does not produce maltiness.
I never said that it does. In one sentence I said that if you don't mash high it will go too dry. In a completely separate sentence I said that the yeast strips maltiness. Never did I say that they were related, in fact if you reread what I posted I put that it overattenuates and strips maltiness...as in two different things.

Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks
Four or five days at 35*F makes it drop out pretty darn good.
Yeah, I used to do that until my POS keggerator died on me. So now its back to bottling and ice bottles. Yeah, I used to do that until my POS keggerator died on me. So now its back to bottling and ice bottles. :cross:

I cold crash in my cooler with ice bottles and it gets down to 35F. I swap out batches of 8 bottles at a time until it gets down there, then I can maintain that temp pretty easily using normal methods.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'm not the only one:rolleyes:;)

It made good tasting beer; it's just my plan was for something maltier. I'm glad I did a split batch so I have something to compare it to. The difference is amazing -- they're two different beers.

So if you want a higher finishing gravity and still want to use dry yeast, do you go with s-04?

So if you want a higher finishing gravity and still want to use dry yeast, do you go with s-04?
It definitely finishes higher, it also finishes quickly and flocs like a brick. However, it does have a different flavor profile, it is fruitier with less hop accentuation and I find it to be less heat tolerant. It really depends on what kind of flavor you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back