trouble with temp in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonBlack

Reaction score
it has taken 36 hours to get the temp inside the kegerator down to 43 deg from room temp. there are two corny kegs inside. is this normal or do i have a bum fridge?

If the whole fridge was room temp, no, it's probably working fine - While there is a compressor and cold coils, essentially it's only a little moving air (fan) that has a lot of work to do to suck the heat out of the box (and cornys).

Two cornies is a ton of mass. Next time I would get the inside of the fridge cold, and then cool the cornies one at a time.

Two cornies is a ton of mass. Next time I would get the inside of the fridge cold, and then cool the cornies one at a time.

+1 let the fridge get cold first, add kegs slow my keezer ran for about 8 hours when i first fired it up. I stopped it every hour for 15min to give the compressor a rest.

Yea, if the two cornies were at room temp it takes a LOOOONG time to get them down to temp. With most newer fridges/freezers they have a cycle for the compressor regardless of temp so it will only stay on for like 30 mins then kick off for a 2-3 min rest, or something like that. So depending on the unit you may just be able to throw you kegs in there and forget about them. If its older and doesnt have a cycle make sure to do what Arkador said. The wine cooler I converted only goes down to 39 F so on hot days sometimes its around 43F (just about perfect for most the beers I drink), but it does have a cycle on it, I would love to bring it in from the garage but the SWIMBO says no. So look on line to find out, otherwise you could really over stress your compressor.

Maybe you could throw some ice in there, up against the cornys to help speed things up and take some load off the compressor.

Back