Will this work inplace of an Erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
So, the SWMBO is planning to buy me a Erlenmeyer flask for christmas, and I happen to have one of these laying around the house. Will this work until I get a flask? I'm brewing an IPA soon and would like to make a yeast starter on my DIY stirplate..

it's a stove top coffee pot that you can boil in. The top is a little bigger than a 2000ml flask. But was hoping I could get away with it for now.
All in one 12 cup glass kettle

That might actually work really well. I would just use sanitized alum. foil in place of the plastic stopper.
The biggest problem with make-shift flasks is the the bottom. It needs to be flat and thin so the magnets can work the stir bar.

As long as the bottom is flat most anything can work temporarily. I use a plastic beer pitcher. The bottom is flat, and I use sanitized foil over top. This is indeed temporary as the stir bar has started to mark up the bottom. Scratches=nasties=no bueno

sweet deal. heli, it's roughly just shy of 3000mls. So i should be able to make a decent size starter in it if needed.

I use a 1 gal pickle jar. Anything that has a somewhat flat bottom will work. The pickle jar is slightly curved but the stir bar doesn't seeem to mind.

Why even bother spending the $20 on a flask when you've got that already? I bet it will serve perfectly... Maybe have the lady get you something else.

I wasn't able to open the link, but i use a coffee pot from an cheap spare 12 cup coffee maker i had laying around. works great!

That is a great idea. The handle is great too. Ever try to move a hot 3000ML flask when it's about to overflow?

I might consider switching to this. I've got several of these sitting in my basement from old coffee machines. Do you thik the lid is really a problem if it's been sanitized properly? I'd assume the metal band is stainless.

If nothing else I can use it to boil/cool the wort then dump it right into a flask.

That is a great idea. The handle is great too. Ever try to move a hot 3000ML flask when it's about to overflow?

I might consider switching to this. I've got several of these sitting in my basement from old coffee machines. Do you thik the lid is really a problem if it's been sanitized properly? I'd assume the metal band is stainless.

If nothing else I can use it to boil/cool the wort then dump it right into a flask.

I'd caution one thing - his appears to be of a special higher-than-usual tolerance to temp changes. It's boroscilicate just like ERlenmeyers are. I'm not sure if all or most coffee carafes are. I wouldn't want to rapidly chill one in an ice bath that isn't.

I know they can take rapid cooling from the brewing hot plate temps because it's how I make my tea for kambutcha and I put it in the sink with ice.. don't know about boiling temps though...

It should work fine. A flask is much heavier duty with much thicker glass but the coffee pot is a good alternative. I bet it can go from the stove top to an ice bath just like a flask can.

I'd use tin foil as a cover.

Good point. The handle IS a nice feature, and honestly, I bet you could boil in the pot with less chance of boil over without the tapered top!

Good point. The handle IS a nice feature, and honestly, I bet you could boil in the pot with less chance of boil over without the tapered top!

Yeah - I broke my large erlenmeyer flask a few months ago. It cost me $40 and I only had it a month or so. I was not happy.

I'd be a lot less upset to break a $10 teapot or 2.

Although I will admit that a flask is a lot cooler than a teapot. A teapot will screw up the Dexter's Laboratory thing I've got going on in my basement. Maybe I can get a van de graaff generator to replace it.

I too would be concerned with rapid cooling in an ice bath. Also, would this work on a gas stove or just a hot plate/surface top? With flame, I'd be concerned with melting the handle or softening it enough to jeopardize the integrity of the handle. Looking forward to hearing the results!

Are you sure about the volume? A standard "cup" of coffee is actually 5 fluid ounces, IIRC. If that's correct, then this pot should hold roughly 900 ml.

Are you sure about the volume? A standard "cup" of coffee is actually 5 fluid ounces, IIRC. If that's correct, then this pot should hold roughly 900 ml.

I'm glad you thought about this and brought it up. However I think your math is off. 5 fluid ounces = 148ml which would be a little over 1.7 liter for a 12 cup. I just checked by weighing and if you filled to the 10 cup mark it might be ideal for a 1.5L batch. You couldn't do a 2L batch.

I'm pretty sure my coffee pot carafe in graduated in 6oz per cup increments.

Also, I think I good put another cup in over what the max line shows - that would give you anywhere from 2.2 liters to 2.3 liters

Damn it, another $12.95 to Amazon. This forum is costing me too much money.
Seriously I like the idea and I'm looking forward to using this. If I don't like it too much then I have a new tea pot. :tank:

I'll be using mine for the first time tonight. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I just read a review for one of these on amazon and it looks like it holds 2L max and that was to the top of the opening. I got excited about this at first but it just seems like it wouldn't work out like I need it to. Anyone know of any larger coffee pots?

barhoc11 said:
I just read a review for one of these on amazon and it looks like it holds 2L max and that was to the top of the opening. I got excited about this at first but it just seems like it wouldn't work out like I need it to. Anyone know of any larger coffee pots?

I saw 14 cup pots online. I'd prefer a teapot style designed for the stovetop. Those are meant to be heated to a boil.

A cup of tea is 6 oz.

Well I tested mine today.. went from boiling to iced water with no problem. I worked with 1.5l of water and 6.3 oz of DME. With yeast and nutrients it put me ~2l. Or right below the metal band of the handle. For my needs it will do until I'm able to get a bigger vessel.

Like I said this was free and laying around so all in all I can't complain!

Back