Any tips for getting a job at a brewpub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Theres a brewpub opening here in (supposedly) March. I couldn't actually work there till May when I graduate but I'd LOVE LOVE to work there. Besides bringing a sixer of some homebrew any tips for getting a job? Like any cool certifications I could do online that would look good? (and are cheap?)

Thanks guys!
:mug:

Take them some beer and show your sincere enthusiasm (i.e., don't be a begging puppy, but don't be aloof - be yourself :) ). Most places are looking for someone who can brew good beer and get along with folks.

If they know anything about beer and brewing, they probably won't be impressed with any sort of certification you can pull off the web in a few minutes. The new "certified beer server" might show them that you know what you are dealing with, but so would a conversation. If you are just submitting resumes, the certification may be worth a shot.

TL

Yeah I've got no idea if it'll be a formal resume type thing or just a conversation. I'd imagine it would be more of a conversation/handshake kinda thing but I'd like to be ready for both.

I should also add, I'd love to brew there but I'm sure they're not going to brew everyday. I'm currenlty the manager of where I work (meaning I pay bills, do taxes, blah blah blah) and I'd be willing/would like to do the same there.

Of course I've worked in a restraunt before to so even if I help brew on some days and just bartend/wait tables others would be fine.

I imagine they wouldn't mind you doing other things. However, keep in mind that you probably have to spend more time cleaning and maintaing the equipment, maintaining records, complying with laws and codes, and who knows what else. There's a lot more to professional brewing than making beer.

TL

I added a homebrewing section to my resume and said I'd volunteer. I know volunteering sucks but they jumped at the chance. Do this at all local brewpubs if you really wanna give it a shot...

Soulive said:
Do this at all local brewpubs if you really wanna give it a shot...

Hehe this is the problem. This will be the ONLY brewpub around. There have been 2 in Corpus in the last few years and BOTH have failed. One was even a semi-successful one from South Padre.

TexLaw said:
I imagine they wouldn't mind you doing other things. However, keep in mind that you probably have to spend more time cleaning and maintaing the equipment, maintaining records, complying with laws and codes, and who knows what else. There's a lot more to professional brewing than making beer.

TL

Yup I understand this, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm graduating with a management degree and think learning the beer biz would be cool (even on the small scale). Thats kinda why I said I realize they're only going to brew every once in a while and I'd want to do other stuff.

Still, any certifications that could help/be interesting?

Thanks guys!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back