finally getting a beer going with brettanomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Decided to get off my butt and get one of my favorite beers going. Made the starter this morning. Doing the Orval clone in BYO, had to use the 530 yeast instead of orvals yeast. Also not sure where im gonna get the 650 for the brett, I might just use a bottle of orval and make a starter. Anyone know where I can get the 650 or a substitute for it?

Here is the recipe. Im not sure yet if im gonna use corn sugar or go ahead and make some candy sugar tonight. Gonna try and mash in at around 154-155:rockin:
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.1 %
2.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 23.3 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.75 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 16.3 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Cool. Can't wait to try that one! BTW when are we going to get together for the 08-08-08 brew? and where?

I suspect I will come down there, but, you guys can come up here if you want. It's just a pain in the ass to get on post for people without a military id, but you'll are more than welcome.

Drunkensatyr said:
Cool. Can't wait to try that one! BTW when are we going to get together for the 08-08-08 brew? and where?

Im gonna be out of town on the 8/8/08 brew day. :( . I was just planing on a group brew day sometime later that month, im probably gonna brew the 8-8-08 later in Jan. when I get back in town.

Looks good Ryan, Orval is a great beer.

I'm curious to see if mashing that high will work. I know you(the BYO recipe) want to leave something for the Brett to eat, but the recipe(and actual Orval) is supposed to finish at ~1.002. I'm not sure it'll get there in 2 months mashing that high. I see they advise bottling in 'heavy bottles' which means they expect, or are at least concerned, that the Brett is going to continue to work on the beer in the bottle.
All I'm saying is if after ~2 months your gravity is ~1.006+ and you decide to bottle it, be careful with those bottles. The Brett will probably keep working in the bottle and may cause over-carbonation and possibly worse. Brett(in secondary or bottles with little/no O2) can take much longer than normal yeast to chew away those last few gravity points.
I'm not advising you change the recipe/technique, just not sure you'll get to 1.002 in two months mashing at that temp. But I'm sure they've tried the recipe, so it should work. Good luck :mug:

P.S. I'm trying to culture some Brett B from an Orval bottle right now, I need 'all' three strains for a clone of Lost Abbey's Cuvee de Tomme.

landhoney said:
Looks good Ryan, Orval is a great beer.

I'm curious to see if mashing that high will work. I know you(the BYO recipe) want to leave something for the Brett to eat, but the recipe(and actual Orval) is supposed to finish at ~1.002. I'm not sure it'll get there in 2 months mashing that high. I see they advise bottling in 'heavy bottles' which means they expect, or are at least concerned, that the Brett is going to continue to work on the beer in the bottle.
All I'm saying is if after ~2 months your gravity is ~1.006+ and you decide to bottle it, be careful with those bottles. The Brett will probably keep working in the bottle and may cause over-carbonation and possibly worse. Brett(in secondary or bottles with little/no O2) can take much longer than normal yeast to chew away those last few gravity points.
I'm not advising you change the recipe/technique, just not sure you'll get to 1.002 in two months mashing at that temp. But I'm sure they've tried the recipe, so it should work. Good luck :mug:

P.S. I'm trying to culture some Brett B from an Orval bottle right now, I need 'all' three strains for a clone of Lost Abbey's Cuvee de Tomme.

I couldn't have said it better :D.

Orval is probably to date my most favorite commercial beer. And I've only ever had it once cause I can't bring myself to spend the near $100 for a case :p

Just to add... at the end of Brew Like a Monk there is a recipe for an Orval clone. It states a 154F mash temp. But the brewer also reports that his FG was 1.009 (1.006 after a year) for an OG of 1.058. More proof that you need to mash lower than 1.0054 to achieve the attenuation of Orval. I would shoot more for the 148-150F range.

Ryanh1801 said:
Thanks, for the suggestions went ahead and mashed low at 150.

CRAP.....guess I'm getting blamed for this one if it doesn't work out ;) Good luck Ryan, hope it ends up great.

landhoney said:
CRAP.....guess I'm getting blamed for this one if it doesn't work out ;) Good luck Ryan, hope it ends up great.

well it ended up being really low.. I did not think about all this cold weather effecting my cooler mash turn. Ended up at 146 at the end.:eek: Wort tasted awesome though. I have high hopes for this beer. Also hit all my projected numbers which was nice for a change.

It's gonna be dry! :D But hey, Orval is probably one of the driest commercially available beers. At any rate, let us know!

Just thought I would update this. I was out of town for a while and just transfered this a few days back. Hydro reading was 1.009.. so its gonna be very dry. Warm and flat it tasted very good. Little more hoppy than I thought it would be, but I think after a few months with the brett its gonna turn out great.

cheezydemon said:
Just for the record, I have read that candy sugar is a waste of money and time.

Well, kind of depends on what you mean. Most belgian beers are very dry so you need some type of simple sugar. I dont buy candy sugar I either make my own, or use Raw sugar. This beer I went with corn sugar and raw sugar just because thats what I had on hand.

how did you go about adding the Brett? Did you put into a secondary or just into the bottles? How long did you let them sit before drinking?

I added to the secondary. I want to say I waited about 6 months before I bottled. I still have some and popped one open the other night and it was great.

Back