False bottom that fits 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of upgrading my equipment to 10 gallon batches. I currently have a 9" false bottom for my 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. Right now, I plan on switching to a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for my MT but may switch to using a sanke keg MT down the road.

Does anyone know of a false bottom that will work in both a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and a sanke keg? I'd like to not have to buy, yet another false bottom if I ever upgrade to the sanke MT.

I also see that most false bottoms seem to come with 3/8" barbs or diptubes. My valves are all going to be 1/2" so I'll have to do some customizing with that as well.

I have considered just using my 9" false bottom in the 10 gallon cooler but that may leave too much room for the false bottom to slide around while I'm stirring the mash. I have ordered some 1/2" barbed angular nipples to switch out the 3/8" nipples in case I do end up buying a 12" false bottom made for coolers. I'm just not sure they would work in a Sanke MT.

P.S. I fly sparge so I don't think a steel braid would work very well. I've read those are mostly just for the batch spargers.

I would consider building a copper manifold out of 1/2" rigid copper pipe. Connect it with a compression fitting and you can switch it out when needed.

If you do any moderately big beers your 10 gal cooler will be to small. Check out the calculator for mash tun sizes in this link.. http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I remember reading about some people having trouble with false bottoms in a Rubbermaid cooler, that's one of the reasons I made a manifold for mine out of copper pipe. It works great and no stuck sparges.
P1000499.JPG

yeah, the coolers can handle big beers. Just not crazy big beers. I have never once had a problem with my 9" false bottom and the 5 gallon cooler.

The largest grain bill I ever put in my 5 gallon Rubbermaid was 14.2 lbs for a Pliny Clone, the brew came out pretty well but I was close to overflowing the entire time I was sparging, I certainly didn't take my eyes off of it. The OG on that beer was 1.069. I'm not sure how you pulled off 1.10 in your 10 gallon cooler unless you only did 5 gallons...maybe you added DME to the boil?

Bitterbrush, do you fly sparge or batch sparge with that manifold?

If it does work well with fly sparging I guess that is a valid answer to my question. I'm just not thrilled with making a manifold. Nor do I like the thought of taking it apart and cleaning it up after each brew either.

Bitterbrush, please post a parts list and instructions. What does the underside of that sucker look like? Slits, holes, slits and holes?

The bottom probably looks like this:

lautermanifold.jpg

1/2" rigid copper pipe, elbows and T's. He comes off of the middle T with (2) 45 degree elbows.

I have a false bottom I bought 10+ years ago for my Gott cooler. Unfortunately, my cooler warped and it didn't seal so I went back to my manifold. If you're interested, I be willing to sell it.

sorry for the sweet bump...... I'm about to get a 10 gallon cooler to jump into all grain. I have a sanke waiting to become my MLT but right now i'm not ready to drop the coin on direct firing and recirculating it. I want to get my technique down before I worry about maintaining temps.

so back to the original question, for the sake of saving money, is there a false bottom that will fit my rubbermaid 10 gallon and also work equally well on my domed sanke in the near future? the only thing i can think of is a domed false bottom for a flat cooler will have much more dead space in a oppositely domed sanke.

sorry for the sweet bump...... I'm about to get a 10 gallon cooler to jump into all grain. I have a sanke waiting to become my MLT but right now i'm not ready to drop the coin on direct firing and recirculating it. I want to get my technique down before I worry about maintaining temps.

so back to the original question, for the sake of saving money, is there a false bottom that will fit my rubbermaid 10 gallon and also work equally well on my domed sanke in the near future? the only thing i can think of is a domed false bottom for a flat cooler will have much more dead space in a oppositely domed sanke.

Yes, I have the 12" false bottom for my Igloo cooler, and it fits my sanke MLT as well. It's a little small, but it covers the convex bottom of the sanke.

I have it turned into a bottom draining MLT now, so there is no diptube, but it could have a diptube.

Here's a photo:
DSCN0323.jpg

which false bottom is that yooper?

It's the 12" false bottom (bought from Northern Brewer, I think, but it could have been morebeer.com) for the round Igloo 10 gallon cooler.

I have the 10" FB as well, for the 5 gallon cooler that I never used. It's WAY too small, though!

This is the FB on the bottom-draining keg MLT that is build "upside down" so to speak. The keg was turned over, and the bottom cut off instead of the top, and the original top left in place. I have a tri-clover fitting on the old sanke connection for draining.

Back