Turkey Farms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
Every year my family travels to a local turkey farm to pick out a turkey, after it's weighed and killed we go pick it up the following day (the day before thanksgiving).

Anyone else do this?

We've debated about raising our own, the process takes about 22-23 weeks from hatching to slaughter... my family owns a small farm (15-20 acres were sold to developers and 5 acres were kept to maintain some sense of property).

Anyway, just curious if anyone else went as far as going to a turkey farm for a thanksgiving bird.

**edit: here is where we go Bolton's

Not me. I shoot a wild turkey sometimes if I can, but for Thanksgiving I take the company Turkey certificate to the grocery store and get the biggest butterball I can find.

Not me. I shoot a wild turkey sometimes if I can, but for Thanksgiving I take the company Turkey certificate to the grocery store and get the biggest butterball I can find.

Wild Turkey is good, nothing beats fresh meat... that could pretty much apply to all meats (deer, fish, turkey, etc.)

We used to grow beef, chickens and turkeys. If you do turkeys, be sure someone in the area will pluck and draw them.

It's a PITA to do it yourself, and to wrestle a 50# bird that doesn't want to die is no fun!

There's a turkey farm up the street and the company I worked for a couple of years ago, gave us turkeys from there every year. Kinda the best of both eh?... But anyway once you've had fresh/never frozen turkey.....you'll say "screw butterball"!

It's a PITA to do it yourself, and to wrestle a 50# bird that doesn't want to die is no fun!

You got that right. Try holding one down after its head is off. ( to bleed without flaying around, so it don't bruise the meat ) Gets wild sometimes.

Forgot to say, did you see Sarah's photo op at the turkey farm. God love her.

Back