Help me toss something on my WL029

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedyma

Reaction score
Hey all I'm moving on to my 4th batch and would like to rack on top of my current yeast cake. I just brewed cheesefoods VCCA using WL029 yeast.

I'm an extract brewer who is looking for a light crisp beer I can bring to the family for Christmas. I'm thinking a Kolsh(sp) of some kind but can't find a good extract version.

Thanks for the help this board has opened my eyes.

I just pitched an altbier wort on a Kolsch yeast cake-- the wl029 you're using. It literally took off, and seems to have completely stopped 24 hours later. I am not sure how it will turn out, as these forums seems to say it's really hard to overpitch. the temp was about 70.

However, if I had the chance to do it over, I would have taken a little of that yeast cake out because now I am wondering if i overpitched. With the first batch I used a rather large starter (more than a liter) and it took a while to get moving. If this overpitch means I will should wait longer then the three weeks I am planning before bottling, I'd like to hear it. Good to hear your question.

I will watch this thread to see who else posts. Maybe a more experienced member will chime in. I have gotten some good advice before and think this forum has some really great members who help out us beginners.

A Kolsch recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. It is dead simple if you can get the Pilsner extract.

8 lbs Pilsner LME
.25 lbs. Munich LME

Hallertau Hops — 1.5 oz. at 4% alpha - 60 minute addition. About 24 IBU's

What may be the hardest part is fermenting and lagering. Not everyone is set up to do it properly.

Ferment @60 and then lager the beer for 4 weeks.

Jamil Zainasheff who made the recipe has also stated that using a Kolsch yeast for an American wheat is a great yeast for the style. It would probably be much easier to make as well.

Good Luck

I just pitched an altbier wort on a Kolsch yeast cake-- the wl029 you're using. It literally took off, and seems to have completely stopped 24 hours later. I am not sure how it will turn out, as these forums seems to say it's really hard to overpitch. the temp was about 70.

However, if I had the chance to do it over, I would have taken a little of that yeast cake out because now I am wondering if i overpitched. With the first batch I used a rather large starter (more than a liter) and it took a while to get moving. If this overpitch means I will should wait longer then the three weeks I am planning before bottling, I'd like to hear it. Good to hear your question.

I will watch this thread to see who else posts. Maybe a more experienced member will chime in. I have gotten some good advice before and think this forum has some really great members who help out us beginners.
I don't think you overpitched but with the amount of fresh yeast that you used it may have fermented out super fast. The brew should still be left in the primary for at least a week and then you could move it to a secondary if you wish. Your beer will be fine.

Yea I'm kind of scared of the. Lagering. Off to look for an American wheat as it's one of my favroite beers.

Sorry for the so problems my iPhone is acting up.

A Kolsch recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. It is edead simple if you can get the Pilsner extract.

8 lbs Pilsner LME
.25 lbs. Munich LME

Hallertau Hops — 1.5 oz. at 4% alpha - 60 minute addition. About 24 IBU's

What may be the hardest part is fermenting and lagering. Not everyone is set up to do it properly.

Ferment @60 and then lager the beer for 4 weeks.

Jamil Zainasheff who made the recipe has also stated that using a Kolsch yeast for an American wheat is a great yeast for the style. It would probably be much easier to make as well.

Good Luck

I'm not trying to threadjack, but I've got the exact same question. My yeast is Safale 05 and the beer in my primary is a red pumkin ale, and I want to do a dark, high-ish ABV stout next. Would it be bad to pitch on this yeast cake?

Yea I'm kind of scared of the. Lagering. Off to look for an American wheat as it's one of my favroite beers.

Sorry for the so problems my iPhone is acting up.
From the same source.

8.9 lbs. of Wheat LME

1 oz. of Willamette 5.0% for 60 minutes
.3 oz. Willamette 5.0% at flameout
.3 oz. Centennial 9.0% at flameout

OG = 1.052
IBU = 20

Ferment it nice and cool and it should work out fine.

I'm not trying to threadjack, but I've got the exact same question. My yeast is Safale 05 and the beer in my primary is a red pumkin ale, and I want to do a dark, high-ish ABV stout next. Would it be bad to pitch on this yeast cake?
Safale 05 dry yeast is so inexpensive that I would just use a new package or 2. I guess though that if you don't mind the possibility of some of the pumpkin taste in the stout you could reuse it.

Blender I like what I see. Here is what I've come up with.

Steep:
2lb of Munich Grain

5-6Lbs of Wheat DME

I'm not sure on the hops. I have .5oz of Saaz and .5oz Tettnang left over from my last batch that I would like to use. I was thinking of just tossing the Tettnang for 60 min and the Saaz at flame out. Is this a bad idea?

I'm just trying to keep it simple but I can sure pickup some other hops at the LHBS when I pick up the DME.

Wheat beers are about as simple as you can get. Tettnang sounds fine but I don't make a lot of wheats. I would probably go for a flovor addition rather than an aroma addition at 0 minutes. I think the key here is to ferment in the suggested range for the yeast.

well here goes nothing. I'm going to leave out the saaz. I will report back in a few weeks with my findings.

Back