Spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some spring clean up and decided to move the mound of spent grains that have been piling up this winter. Oh my gosh rotting malt stinks! the stuff in the bottom along with some leaves is black!
I think I'll be spreading this stuff on the garden.

RichBrewer said:
I was doing some spring clean up and decided to move the mound of spent grains that have been piling up this winter. Oh my gosh rotting malt stinks! the stuff in the bottom along with some leaves is black!

Yep. I just put some of that gunk on my hop plants yesterday. :rockin:

Works even better on the hops plants if you run it through a horse first. I just let the deer spread it for me.

RichBrewer said:

Where were you keeping it? Did your neighbors kill you?

I looked at the pile on top of the snow left in my backyard and man is it gross smelling. I shoveled a little more snow on top for now. When all the snow melts and it turns warm I'll have to till it into the ground.

I've been thinking about making some spent grain bread with my next batch. There was a thread awhile back with some recipes that looked really good.

In the past I have just spread them out in my garden.

RichBrewer said:
I will have to get a horse I guess. Man that seems like quite an expense just for the manure... :mug:
Speaking from personal experience yes they are but as SWMBO has had the horse longer than me i don't complain......;)

I may as well go to Utah as its the same distance as San Diego. And shipping, I so don't think so. Come on there has to be someone in No CA that has this?? You guys all talk to each other.... can ya help me out. FYI 400lbs would last me about 5 weeks!!!! Pigs eat a lot and I also feed chickens!!!!!

Back