Beer Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I had several requests to post the beer gelatin that was made in the bottom of my secondary of German ale. It was my first attempt at using gelatin to clear my beer. This is how you do not use gelatin to clear your beer more.

It did not taste very pleasant.

Hi,
Normally you just take a packet of plain gelatin and slowly dissolve it into some warm water (I heat mine over the stove just a bit). You want to heat it just enough to get the gelatin to dissolve - no more.

Then you gently add it to the secondary and stir it in. Let it sit for 4-5 days so the gelatin can aid in sedimentation, then rack the beer off to a bottling tank or keg and bottle/keg per normal.

Cheers,
Brad

This water was too close to the boiling point. by the time it cooled down, it was turning to jello. Brad has pretty much explained how you use it.

I'm about to use gelatin for the first time. It sounds like you don't have to worry about perfectly sanitary water, just warm it up and mix then add to wort? You don't have to boil water first then let cool down or what? thanks

I'm about to use gelatin for the first time. It sounds like you don't have to worry about perfectly sanitary water, just warm it up and mix then add to wort? You don't have to boil water first then let cool down or what? thanks

No need to boil first.

I add my dried gelatin to cold water and stir. (About 1 Tbsp to 1/2 cup per five gallons.)

Then I place it on the stove on medium heat and then stir.
In about 5-6 minutes (well before it begins to boil), the gelatin has dissolved completely and I remove from heat.

I cool it slightly and add it to the secondary or keg before racking the beer on top.

No need to boil first.

I add my dried gelatin to cold water and stir. (About 1 Tbsp to 1/2 cup per five gallons.)

Then I place it on the stove on medium heat and then stir.
In about 5-6 minutes (well before it begins to boil), the gelatin has dissolved completely and I remove from heat.

I cool it slightly and add it to the secondary or keg before racking the beer on top.

I just wanted to give a props to this specific method. I used it with a rather murky rye pale ale, and in a matter of four days it has cleared up significantly. I wish I would have taken some pics over the last few days to share the results.

I want to try the gelatin method. I utilize a sanke and my beer stays in the sanke(primary) for 3 weeks....I do not use a secondary vessel. I then cold crash for 48 hours and rack to corneys.

When can I add the gelatin for my setup/procedure?

Thanks

I want to try the gelatin method. I utilize a sanke and my beer stays in the sanke(primary) for 3 weeks....I do not use a secondary vessel. I then cold crash for 48 hours and rack to corneys.

When can I add the gelatin for my setup/procedure?

Thanks

You should get good results adding to your sanke with about 3-4 days left in the total ferment time. It will cause you some headaches if you harvest your own yeast though. You could always siphon off a good yeast slurry for upcoming batches and then add the yeast.

I tried this and it seems like my bottles are taking forever to carb up. I checked them after a week @ 70 and barely a hiss. Usually, without gelatin, the carbonation is complete @ a week and the other 2 weeks is just conditioning time.

I've used gelatin in corny kegs, is it necessary to rack off the gelatin into a new keg for serving, or can I just gelatin and carb all in the same keg? I imagine it would plug up the diptube.

I've used gelatin in corny kegs, is it necessary to rack off the gelatin into a new keg for serving, or can I just gelatin and carb all in the same keg? I imagine it would plug up the diptube.

I do that - gelatin and then serve in the same keg. No problem . . .

I have LD Carlson Gelatin Finings.....and the la bel says 1/2 teaspoon for every 5 gallons......everyone else (other sites, guys on here, etc.) usuaully say to use 1 TABLESPOON per 5 gallons.

Is the 1 TABLESPOON for supermarket type gelatin (i.e. Knox) ...or should I do the 1 TABLESPOON with the LD Carlson also????

Just not sure if the 2 are the same.

Thanks!
Mike

How would adding Gelatin to the secondary affect a bottle conditioned 8.5% ABV belgian ale? Any adverse affects with yeast suspension or carbing?

How would adding Gelatin to the secondary affect a bottle conditioned 8.5% ABV belgian ale? Any adverse affects with yeast suspension or carbing?

Gelatin is not very conducive to bottle conditioning. It is extremely effective in clearing beer by coagulating and floccing out suspended particulates. However, yeast is among those suspended particulates and is therefore flocculated out. Bottle conditioning relies on that suspended yeast to consume your priming sugar. Bottle conditioning is possible, but due to the extremely low counts of viable yeast cells it will a very long time to fully carbonate.

Kegging and force carbonation is the way to go b/c you won't be needing the help of yeast to carbonate. I don't really see the point in adding gelatin to a serving keg when it could just be added at the end of its time in a fermentation vessel and leave it behind.

I've been doing some side-by-side tests with gelatin and I am finding that it has a significant effect on the taste profile of the beer. Beers (mainly pale ales) that I have added gelatin to always seem to come out "sweeter" due to the lack of the bitter yeast and I always seem enjoy the beers without gelatin more for that reason. I'm still doing more tests with it, but I am pretty convinced that I won't be using it much longer.

Anyway, 2 cents. :mug: PROST!!!

I added 1.5 grams (about 1/2 tsp) of Knox brand gelatin per lamarguy's suggestion. I'm taking pictures and will post up the results in that thread once it clears.

Gelatin is not very conducive to bottle conditioning. It is extremely effective in clearing beer by coagulating and floccing out suspended particulates. However, yeast is among those suspended particulates and is therefore flocculated out. Bottle conditioning relies on that suspended yeast to consume your priming sugar. Bottle conditioning is possible, but due to the extremely low counts of viable yeast cells it will a very long time to fully carbonate.

Hi,

I'm new to home brewing (2 batches) and this is my first post. I have been lurking in the threads for some time... thanks to all for the great info.

Re bottle conditioning and gelatin: I recently listened to a great interview with Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River Brewery on a Beer Network podcast. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he used to use gelatin to clarify beer in the bottle for his home brews, and that it would leave behind the gelatin stuff in the bottom of the bottle...hope I'm not misunderstanding...but could a person add the gelatin at the time the priming sugar is added?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

It's not really my intent to resurrect old threads, but I was searching for threads on clarifying beer (eliminating chill haze, specifically) and came across this one.

I see there are two posters here in this thread who have only posted once on the board. A belated welcome to you both.

Chico, if you stop by here again, take note of the posts in this thread that deal with bottle conditioning. It is generally not recommended because the gelatin will remove most of the remaining viable yeast along with other particulate matter.

Bach2050, thanks for your .02. I was wondering specifically if gelatin would affect the taste of the beer. Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. If you come by here again, I'd like to know what you finally concluded.

Bach2050, thanks for your .02. I was wondering specifically if gelatin would affect the taste of the beer. Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. If you come by here again, I'd like to know what you finally concluded.

I occasionally use gelatin, and for more reasons that just clarity. Gelatin will in general always affect the flavor of the beer...but it's not because you're adding something to the beer...it's what get's taken out.

Much like fine filtering, gelatin will help to take out the larger particles in the beer...and they affect the flavor. Some of the common things that will drop out are yeast, proteins, and some of the hop compounds. All these items have a flavor impact on beer, and their absence is noticeable too.

My most common use of gelatin is to help drop the yeast from suspension when I don't want the flavor that yeast add (or to wait for it to completly drop in the keg) After using it, I tend to find the beer has a crisper, cleaner, slightly maltier flavor. Crisper and cleaner because there is less umami flavor from the yeast to muddie things up, and maltier because of the affect on the hop flavor aroma.

I haven't tried it yet (don't have the filter) but I would expect similar results to using a .5 micron filter.

Once again apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on using gelatin in beers that are already lagering? I have a Kolsch that's been at 40 degrees for 3-4 days now and It's developed some chill haze. Of course Kolsch is supposed to be a clear style, so I was thinking of using gelatin, does anyone see any issues with using it in beer that's already cold?

BudzAndSudz said:
Once again apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on using gelatin in beers that are already lagering? I have a Kolsch that's been at 40 degrees for 3-4 days now and It's developed some chill haze. Of course Kolsch is supposed to be a clear style, so I was thinking of using gelatin, does anyone see any issues with using it in beer that's already cold?

My understanding is that gelatin ONLY works if the beer is cold. Go for it!

Adding gelatin to a beer that is significantly colder than room temperature will cause the gelatin to immediately coagulate and fall to the bottom. Gelatin should be added to beer before it is chilled, and allowed to mix thoroughly. Then it can rest at that temp, or be chilled. I prefer to let the beer rest at fermentation temps to allow the protein to bind with the gelatin before the gelatin wants to "gel" and drop to the bottom.

Adding gelatin to a beer that is significantly colder than room temperature will cause the gelatin to immediately coagulate and fall to the bottom. Gelatin should be added to beer before it is chilled, and allowed to mix thoroughly. Then it can rest at that temp, or be chilled. I prefer to let the beer rest at fermentation temps to allow the protein to bind with the gelatin before the gelatin wants to "gel" and drop to the bottom.

I stand corrected! Thanks for the tip BierMuncher!

Will I get flogged and banned for disagreeing with BierMuncher?

I've only added gelatin to beer that was cold (because lagering didn't clear it up) and it seemed to work just fine - it was carbed too. I pulled the keg out of the fridge, added the hot gelatin to the cold beer, and replaced the keg. Waited a day or two again, and after the first pint of cloudiness, I got nice clear beer. I've only done this twice, so take it for what it's worth.

And since the beer is already lagered, would it cause any weird off favors if I let it warm up to room temp again to add gelatin? No issues with warming beer again once it's been chilled, right?

And should I rack to secondary to use the gelatin, or can I just dump it in right on top of the trub and yeast cake of primary?

And since the beer is already lagered, would it cause any weird off favors if I let it warm up to room temp again to add gelatin? No issues with warming beer again once it's been chilled, right?

And should I rack to secondary to use the gelatin, or can I just dump it in right on top of the trub and yeast cake of primary?

I don't think it would cause any off flavors, but I think if you let it warm, you may negate the benefits of lagering. I've wondered if you let a lager warm up, the stuff that fell out during lagering (like chill haze, etc.) if it would go back in solution when you warm it back up. Now, if you're needing to add gelatin, obviously the lager phase didn't do what you needed it to do completely anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Are you kegging or bottling? (not that it matters tremendously). Figure out what you think will work best for you and your equipment. If you're already lagering, I would think you'd already be off the primary yeast cake. Were it me, I'd want to add gelatin into a fairly clean and sediment free beer, so I'd probably rack.

This is such a dumb question, but if I were to use gelatin in a warm corney keg for a few days then cold crash/carb/serve, what would be the consistency of the gelatin? Would it all just come out as liquid with the first pulled pint? Or would it solidify and stay at the bottom of the keg the entire time until the keg is kicked/cleaned?

For the record, gelatin will bloom at any temperature. It just blooms faster when it's warm.

I plan to use room temperature costco bottled water and a few hours on the stir plate next time.

I'm going to be Kegging. I suppose I misused the word "lagering" since I just really just cold crashed. So I'll transfer to a secondary carboy, and add gelatin.

If you use Gelatin, does that exclude the possibility of bottling because there won't be enough active yeast to encourage carbonation? Maybe I should just keg it and get one of those bottling wands so I can force carb and still bottle it for submissions to competitions.

Back