Planting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have orderd like 12 hop cuttings and I "hope" to get them in the next few weeks.
But I hve seen (read) the term "bottomless buckets". What I "think" this to mean is a bucket with the bottom cut out and sunk into the ground. Then the cutting is planted inside the bucket. I "think" this is to keep te roots from spreding out and taking over the plant next to it.

Anyone know if this is true? Has anyone done this? I'm thinking that a 5 gal bucket woud be to small, right?

Yep, That's the method I'm going with this first year around. I've planted long rows of asparagus in the past, and had a time with voles rooting down to them, and eating the rizomes. I'm concerned about this happening with the hops, so It's cut out buckets/pots at least this year.
Use at least a 3 gallon...some say one gal
And be sure the lip of the bucket is lower than the soil surface by a few inches...this will allow rain water to enter into the top portion of the bucket.

If you plan on leaving the buckets in the ground, which is a good way to limit the spread, you should use 5 gallon buckets.

david_42 said:
If you plan on leaving the buckets in the ground, which is a good way to limit the spread, you should use 5 gallon buckets.
This is what I was thinking of doing. Get some 5 gal buckets and cut the bottoms out. The drop them in the ground and plant the cutting inside it. I just was not sure what if any effect that may have on the plan and or the yeld of hops.

Back