Water on Mars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting to use Europa water. It's a Jupiter moon, and is covered with ice. Astrophysicists think there is flowing water under the ice where the tectonic heating in the moon's core keeps the water liquid. Nasa's got a probe dedicated to this moon, the Europa Clipper. Planned flight mid '20s. Flight time 3-6 years. I hope they at least pack a fishing pole.

Comets whizzing through space contain water (it's ice crystals I beleive that form the tail of comets). The Japanese have landed space vehicles on asteroids, and a comet is just an icy asteroid, so it's well without possibility to bring space water back to earth. Grabbing this space water is a big deal since fuel (H + O) can be made from it.

Probably some opportunity for wicked infections from unsterilized space water :)

kiwi-wit-glow-41155-2335.jpg

I was sure that they will find water on Mars. I would only have been surprised if they would have found beer on Mars. ;)

I'm waiting to use Europa water. It's a Jupiter moon, and is covered with ice. Astrophysicists think there is flowing water under the ice where the tectonic heating in the moon's core keeps the water liquid. Nasa's got a probe dedicated to this moon, the Europa Clipper. Planned flight mid '20s. Flight time 3-6 years. I hope they at least pack a fishing pole.

Comets whizzing through space contain water (it's ice crystals I beleive that form the tail of comets). The Japanese have landed space vehicles on asteroids, and a comet is just an icy asteroid, so it's well without possibility to bring space water back to earth. Grabbing this space water is a big deal since fuel (H + O) can be made from it.

Probably some opportunity for wicked infections from unsterilized space water :)

kiwi-wit-glow-41155-2335.jpg

I watched a documentary about the icy moon Europa one time, entitled Europa Report.

It seems the most difficult part about brewing on Europa is actually getting to the water. You'd have to drill through some REALLY thick ice, and then there are the killer creatures lurking under there.

I think it would be totally doable if we used nuclear powered drills and brought Ellen Ripley along for backup. A clone would do if she was busy.

What to name the beer, though? For Martian water it could be, "Killer Märtian Märzen". For Europa, "Moonwalker Madness". (It's a long ride out there!)

Haha, not sure if that was supposed to be tongue in cheek or not, but I think "documentary" would be a strong word for Europa Report. It is however a fantastic sci-fi flic.

Haha, not sure if that was supposed to be tongue in cheek or not, but I think "documentary" would be a strong word for Europa Report. It is however a fantastic sci-fi flic.

Wait, so you mean they didn't really send trucks to asteroids to protect the earth like in the documentary Armageddon?

I suppose next your gonna insist that those kids didn't really witness aliens on government trains despite catching it all on a 8mm handy cam. Pfft!

Back