Need Beer in 5 weeks - Bottle or Leave in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I was bored today (as usual) so I was thinking what would be better. If you brewed today, and you needed this beer to be bottled and ready in 5 weeks, would it be better to leave in the primary for 3 weeks, and bottle for 2, or primary for 2 weeks and bottle for 3.

I usually leave my beers in the primary for 3 weeks, then bottle for 3 weeks. Most of them are good after 2 weeks, but that 3rd week does some amazing things.

So, I was thinking that maybe it would be more beneficial if you only had 5 weeks, to stick it in the bottle so it can bottle condition that extra week.

Cheers!!!

I think it depends on the beer - a simple wheat beer is probably good for 2 weeks in primary and 3 in bottles. Others might be better with more primary time. From my limited experience, the longer in bottles the better, but that's also the longer in total, if you know what I mean!

24hrs in a keg will get it fizzy, but most of my beers don't taste well blended till I let them sit over 1 month.

Beer is something you don't rush, if in a hurry go to the store or look around at a local beer brewery and buy a keg.

2 then 3.

72 degrees for the bottles.
Rock em gently every other day.
Test em after 17-18 days.
Try and allow 4-5 days chill conditioning before serving to let settle and clear.

Raffie said:
24hrs in a keg will get it fizzy, but most of my beers don't taste well blended till I let them sit over 1 month.

Beer is something you don't rush, if in a hurry go to the store or look around at a local beer brewery and buy a keg.
thanks, but kegging wasn't an option in this scenario and neither was buying someone else's beer.

BierMuncher said:
2 then 3.

72 degrees for the bottles.
Rock em gently every other day.
Test em after 17-18 days.
Try and allow 4-5 days chill conditioning before serving to let settle and clear.
Thanks! Sounds like a good plan.

I figure the longer conditioning in the bottle will make a better beer rather than just letting it clear in the primary.

Good catch on the higher temp too!

Back