Yet another Belgian Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon_TWR

Reaction score
Since I have a lot of a few grains thanks to my last group buy, this quad oesn't quite have teaditional ingredients...but my subs aren't *that* far off. Maybe I'll call this one Canadian Quad, given the source of he base grains. ;)

6 gallon batch, estimated 75% efficiency

10 lbs CMC Pils
5 lbs CMC Pale
1 lb CMC Wheat
4 oz C-120
1 oz Carafa Special III
2 lbs Candi Syrup Inc D-180 (flameout addition)

I was trying to do a stepped stovetop mash in a 6 gallon pot, but that left he mash so thick that it was difficult to heat evenly...I had lots of hot and cold spots just getting from dough in to the protein rest, so I ended up pulling a single, thick decoction and adding that back to get to the sacch rest.

I then dumped it into my mash tun, and added hot water to bring it up to 163°. It then got an extended rest while SWMBO and I made a "quick" trip to Home Depot and Costco. I then did a pretty normal batch sparge.

I did an extended boil on some of the first runnings for extra flavor and color development.

90" boil

1/2 oz Columbus @ 90"
1 oz hallertauer tradition @ 18"
1 oz styrian goldings @ 5"

Fermentation was going strong at 64° on the T-58 cake of a Belgian Blonde, and after three and a half days, I started bumping temps up...it's at 68° after another day...I think I'll soon kill temp control and just let it free rise as much as it will to encourage it to finish out.

After it's done, I'll crash it and keg it, and let it sit in the back of the kegerator, hopefully until the fall.

Should be a great beer!

No comments, questions or suggestions?

The day after I killed temp control, temps got up to the low 80s ambient--perfect!

Since then, I've had it sitting at 50° ambient, and I'll probably keg it June 9th. :)

Back