First extract batch analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lateknightucd

Reaction score
So I broke into my first batch this past week and also had a contact at a local brewery run a sample through their testing process. I brewed the Midwest Supplies Irish Red Ale kit. Since I'm using a friend's keggle, I did the steep in 6.5 gallons (rather than the 1.5-2 recommended) and boiled down to about 4.75 that went into the fermenter. What I got back was this:

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012
Attenuation: 77.9%
ABV: 5.74%
VDK: 47.3 ppb (happy, healthy yeast!)
SRM: 27.2
IBU: 30.1

I'm pretty happy with everything except that the color is far too dark and the IBUs are too high. I assume that the full-volume boil is to blame for the higher IBU. Not a huge deal. I've since purchased BeerSmith and will recalculate my hop schedules going forward for full volume boils.

I'm guessing that the color has to do with a full volume steep and carmelization of the extract.

I'm preparing for my second batch and wanted to make some adjustments to my process. I have a Belgian IPA on deck so a little bit higher hop utilization won't be as noticeable. I would like, however, to keep the darkening and carmel character down. That said, what is the minimum amount of LME I should add before starting the boil? I know that adding late in the boil (around 15 minutes) can reduce browning, but how much do I HAVE to start the boil with?

Thanks in advance! My third batch will be all grain so in a sense these types of questions won't matter as much. Since all my volumes will be taken into account when designing the beer, I hope to have more consistent performance.

Technically you can't get the wort hot enough to carmelize (Maltose carmelizes at 356F). Reducing sugars undergo Maillard reactions (sugar and amino acid reaction) when heated and this causes darkening. Doing full boils minimizes this. Adding extract at flameout or very late in the boil also minimizes these reactions. The classic flavor threshold for diacetyl (the primary VDK) is about 0.15ppm but in an ale there are a lot of things that help mask it and as homebrewers I do not know how low we can get this number from a practical standpoint.

You should also steep in less water (about 2 qts per pound of grain) to prevent astringency. You can do this on the stove top or in the oven (lowest setting for about 30 minutes once up to temperature).

You should also steep in less water (about 2 qts per pound of grain) to prevent astringency. You can do this on the stove top or in the oven (lowest setting for about 30 minutes once up to temperature).

Thanks, this is helpful! I'll steep with a small volume next time and then top up before the boil.

I think I'll try leaving some of the extract until late in the boil as well. Any suggestion on how little I can start the boil with? Thanks.

I do partial boils of 2.5-3 gallons of water. No more than 1-1.5lbs of extract in the boil for hop additions. Then add remaining extract at flame out,since the wort is still 180F+,it's plenty hot enough to pasteurize,which happens at about 162F. I cover & steep for 15 minutes,then proceed as normal.

Back