San Diego Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost Abbey is a must hit and white labs tap room is a great visit for the homebrewer

nasa258e said:
Lost Abbey is a must hit and white labs tap room is a great visit for the homebrewer

Ironfist is also good, and if you are in the area, you might as well go to stone. Ballast point has a good tour and bottlecraft is a great beer store near the airport

Step 1 : buy an extra suitcase
Step 2 : fill it with Pliny the Elder
Step 3 : invite me over to help you drink it

Go to Pizza Port. I went to San Diego and posted on the board for suggestions just like you. Pizza Port was the best beer experience while I was in the San Diego area.

While Pliny is available in San Diego, the brewery is in the Bay Area closer to San Francisco. The worst part about it is you can get it anywhere in San Diego but I live only 3 hours from the brewery and can't find it anywhere...

The Tap Room in Pacific Beach has many of the local breweries on tap and Woodstock's pizza is just down the street.

If you've never been, Stone is definitely a place to go, but people overlook a lot of the awesome south county breweries. I'm partial to the ones near my house (6-7 within walking distance) which include: Alesmith, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Hess, Wet 'n Reckless, Rough Draft, the Karl Strauss brewpub where I got married, and the White Labs tasting room (bunch of the same beer, fermented with different yeasts! Awesome).

I'd say Green Flash, Alesmith, and Hess are my favorites. Green Flash is my favorite place to grab a pint, Alesmith makes the best beer, and Hess is the coolest spot- I'm a nanobrewer so I like hanging out at nanobreweries.

If you've never been, Stone is definitely a place to go, but people overlook a lot of the awesome south county breweries. I'm partial to the ones near my house (6-7 within walking distance) which include: Alesmith, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Hess, Wet 'n Reckless, Rough Draft, the Karl Strauss brewpub where I got married, and the White Labs tasting room (bunch of the same beer, fermented with different yeasts! Awesome).

I'd say Green Flash, Alesmith, and Hess are my favorites. Green Flash is my favorite place to grab a pint, Alesmith makes the best beer, and Hess is the coolest spot- I'm a nanobrewer so I like hanging out at nanobreweries.

A couple weeks ago we took a trip down to Escondido and hit a bunch of stuff around there. Next time I want to get further south and hit some of the stuff you mentioned. I grabbed a bottle of Alesmith IPA at Pizza Port and it's one of the best I've had. I'll definitely have to make it there next time I'm in the area.

Thanks for the tips!! I didn't realize white labs had a tasting room!

It's very new, maybe a couple months. They hired the head brewer from the La Jolla Rock Bottom Brewpub- great guy who makes some great beer. A buddy of mine's architecture firm designed the tasting room- it's a neat space, and accross the street from my gym:rockin:

I'm partial to the ones near my house (6-7 within walking distance) which include: Alesmith, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Hess, Wet 'n Reckless, Rough Draft, the Karl Strauss brewpub where I got married, and the White Labs tasting room.

Many people choose houses based on their proximity to schools or work.

You sir, are in a whole different league! :mug:

If you're going to Lost Abby swing by Stone Brewing, it's just around the block. I haven't hit Pizza Port but hear it's good. There's a few commercial brew-pups; Karl Strauss and Rock Bottom - I wouldn't go out of your way for either. PB has a brew pub too, not bad. If there's one bar I would say you must check out it would be Toronados on 32nd st in Northpark, huge tap and bottle selection. Have fun, and enjoy that beautiful weather!

Many people choose houses based on their proximity to schools or work.

You sir, are in a whole different league! :mug:

Would you believe that I also bike to work? I could walk (actually closer than Karl's) but it would take too long. Let's just say schools weren't a factor when considering where to live. Green flash moving here was just a bonus after the fact.

ColumbusAmongus said:
Step 1 : buy an extra suitcase
Step 2 : fill it with Pliny the Elder
Step 3 : invite me over to help you drink it

Russian river is in northern California

Thanks again - the craft beer scene here (San Diego) is pretty amazing. I live in Fort Collins (New Belgium, etc.) and was certain there wasn't a better beer lovers paradise; until SD!

We've been to Pizza Port in Ocean Beach & found it to be a great place for beer/pizza. The bartender was super helpful setting us up with an 8-beer sampler tray including their award winning brown & breakfast beer aptly named 'bacon & eggs'! Highly recommend this place!

I'm hoping to be able to visit a couple more before I leave; this is a family vacation & of course we have to do all the appropriate kiddie things which takes away from daddy's beer drinking!

Well, if you're looking for awesome beer bars, and not just breweries, I like the Blind Lady Alehouse in Normal Heights and Small Bar in University Heights. Other good ones include Tiger!Tiger! and Hamilton's. The only place I'd take my family would be Blind Lady, though. Awesome pizza/other small bites, and a great beer selection- avoid it on big bar nights (thur-sat nights) if you're bringing family. The Linkery also has an excellent beer selection and is one of the best restaurants in SD, and not too expensive. Great for a family meal.

Back