Great Divide Old Ruffian Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klyph

Reaction score
What can I say, after a "1 pint 6 oz" bottle (over the course of the evening), my opinion is biased. I'm pairing it with a loaf of fresh home baked whole wheat bread with sweet cream butter and honey. I'm the closest to heaven that I've ever been.
I've never had a barley wine quite like this one, it's powerful in every one of it's many flavors, the dark fruits, the caramel, the bittersweet finish, the ethanol is well disguised but present and unobtrusive. It's the most drinkable barley wine I've had to date. As it warms in the glass, the aroma intensifies enhancing the experience. I want to spend all day with a glass of it strapped under my nose. There is enough hop aroma to perfectly balance with the sweet smells of the barley malt that I can hardly distinguish the two. They seem to coalesce into a singular aroma that I lack the vocabulary to describe. The texture is not thick or chewy, but not thin either, it coats the mouth initially with it's diverse flavor, then is washed away by a dominant alcohol warmth that lingers through the bitter earthy aftertaste.

A remarkable beer that I would recommend to anyone. Go out and try it if you haven't, you owe it to yourself.

Cheers :mug:

A local bar here that constantly rotates their drafts had this for a while. This beer is simply amazing on tap or from the bottle. I'd prefer to get this than a bottle of wine or champagne, and at around $7 for a 22 oz, it is a great special occasion beer.

FWIW, AHS has recently added a clone: Old Ruffian (Great Divide) (23A)

I had seen that, but at $55 for all grain, I could buy a 50 lb sack and the hops and specialty grains for just a bit more. Recipe uses 20 lb of base malt so I'd have 30 lbs left over.

Btw had a 2011 edition of this for Christmas and it was great. Still my favorite barleywine.

Great Divide is one of my fav's. Old Ruffian and Bigfoot are about the only Barleywines I really enjoy.

Try their Wolfgang Doppelbock, and Yeti IS (many flavors). I loved going to the taphouse in Denver - good food trucks, and REALLY busy bar.

Back