Polishing my corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
So I have polished my kegs via the Bobby_M method before and I got another couple "new" kegs and this time I decided to take a some pictures in between each step:

My three kegs as delivered:

Bought%201.JPG

Close up of Keg #1

Bought%202.JPG

The three kegs after getting cleaned up with the fine gator grit pad:

Fine%20pad%201.JPG

The same keg #1 close up:

Find%20pad%202.JPG

The kegs after getting polished with polishing stick #1:

Stick%201-1.JPG

Close up of Keg #1:

Stick%201-2.JPG

Kegs after polishing stick #3

Stick%203-1.JPG

Close up of Keg #1

Stick%203-2.JPG

Finally the kegs all together after getting polished with polishing stick #5 (high gloss stick):

Stick%205-1.JPG

Close up of keg #1:

Stick%205-2.JPG

Thanks Bobby_M for showing me how to clean my kegs so that they can be kept indoors and not look like a mess. :mug:

Those look great. Were you able to do all of them with 1 pad/stick? You can use tire shine on the rubber tops and bottoms to finish it off. I usually put it on, let it set for a while, then wipe off the excess with a shop rag or paper towels.

Those look great. Were you able to do all of them with 1 pad/stick? You can use tire shine on the rubber tops and bottoms to finish it off. I usually put it on, let it set for a while, then wipe off the excess with a shop rag or paper towels.

I have polished 6 corny kegs so far and I have plenty of polishing compound left. I used three different compound sticks for the shine. For these three I used two gator grit fine pads to buff it out, then one polishing pad for each compound stick.

nice job, what exactly did you use?

link? mine look like hell.

Here is the original thread that started it all for polishing kegs: Polishing your keg is more than a clever euphemism

I did two corny kegs with a single fine Gator pad and maybe i/3rd of a stick of the buffing compound. Spent about 30 minutes on each keg.

I was able to buy everything at Lowes. I don't remember seeing the gator grit pads at Home Depot.

If you search for "polishing my keg" you'll see all the recommended products. The polish sticks at Lowes are repackaged in something different now but they still sell them in the tool section.

I just cleaned a couple of corny's that were donated to me. They were about as ugly as the ones pictured above in the first post. I filled them 1/2 way with oxyclean to clean the insides, filled a 6 gallon plastic pail 1/2 way with oxyclean to clean the outsides. I set the keg in the pail, waited a while (an hour?)and then flipped the kegs upside down in the pail to get the other 1/2 of the keg done. I used a scotch bright pad and buffed the outsides while it soaked the 2nd 1/2, then flipped it over once again in the pail and scotch bright the other half...... a little confusing .... all I did was use oxyclean and a scotch bright and the keg shined up beautifully. It was ready for a polish if that is the look you want.

Back