Stone and the difference a yeast makes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpatton

Reaction score
In my attempt to better understand homebrewing, I've been reading more and keep coming across info about how much a difference yeast can make to the taste. Then today I saw a new brew from Stone, "Cali-Belgique" (also know as Cali-Belgie). This proves the point perfectly - it is simply the Stone IPA but with one difference: a Belgian yeast is used. Side by side you can tell the clear difference. Anyway, for a beginner it was certainly interesting to be able to test this using readily available beer.

Ive done the same with my Extra PA recipe. Its a simple recipe and I did an easy switch with the yeast from 1056 to 1272. In my next batch I'm planning on trying it with a 1318 or a 1335.

I'm also trying to do the same with hops but the schedules seem to vary too much so I've been sticking to very similar recipes but using single hops.

I want to make my own recipes, but in order for me to do that I need to understand the ingredients. Plus there is no downside, I get to drink my testing material :mug:

I tried out this philosophy this past weekend. I brewed a "Summer Buzz" clone recipe that I've heard good things about. Only I used Weinstephan 3068 yeast instead of the White Lab Cali Ale yeast. Also left out the lemon zest because I don't like citrus in my hefes. I think I'm gonna end up with a Honey/banana wheat beer. Should be interesting..

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18916

The a-ha moment for me with yeast was a starter for a Stout made with some liquid Irish Stout yeast. I drank the liquid that I had decanted off the top of the starter, and it tasted really Guinness-like, even though it was pale and hopless.

BTW Checked out inside my primary after a week. Like i said, first time using wyeast, its a french saison..also used late addition method with the extract. Never had a better looking or better smelling beer after a week. Fighting all my instincts to transfer it to the glass carboy to get a proper look at the girl..trying to give the yeast more time to "clean up after themselves" before I ruin the soup.

Back