Brewing w/ no grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawggy_Stile

Reaction score
How will a brew come out with no grains.. just boiling 2.5 gallons and adding the LME, DME and a couple additions of hops, then topping off and pitching?
Im NOT thinking of doing this.. someone I know told me he was going to try and as a beginner myself.. something just didn't sound right.

should be just fine. Might not be the best brew ever, but totally drinkable nonetheless. Go right ahead and do it, wont be bad at all.

I did it for my first brew, and it got rave reviews. If my next one (which did have grains) comes out worse, I think I'm going to cry, though.

A lot of beginners kits are just prehopped canned extract. Pour in, boil, top off and you are done. Most recipes involve steeping grains since its hard to get every flavor through extract. You'll also find a lot of Hefeweizen extract recipes don't call for a minimash or steeping grains. Thats because wheat extract is usually a mix of Pilsner and wheat malt already. Furthermore, making a batch with say light extract only is akin to making a batch with only American 2 row pale malt. Yea, its not going to be the most interesting beer in the world, but its definitely not bad.

That's just basic extract brewing. People do it all the time, and make some very good beers. Adding steeping grains will add various colors, flavors and aromas.

It's actually a very good (and common) way to start brewing!

Nothing wrong with it at all. I've actually thought about going this route myself just to see what results I get. My latest IPA had far fewer grains steeped and much paler than I have used in the past so we'll see how that turns out.

Using just Pale extract and hops is no different from using just a base malt in all grain. Some recipes do not require specialty grains.

Think of it as a SMaSH brew with extract if you're using Light extract. I did an extract batch a while back just for the heck of it. used Amber LME, Extra light DME and Simcoe Hops. It was good. No steeping grains.

Back