1 gallon apfelwein recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holygrale

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how much sugar, and yeast (half pack?) i should use, when doing a 1 gallon batch.

thanx for any help

For the sugar, just scale the recipe down accordingly.

For the yeast, a half pack would work, but I just use the whole pack. Those packets are designed for 1-5 gallon batches, and it would still be far from overpitching. Using the entire packet has the added benefit of a faster start and likely a more vigorous fermentation (read: more rhino farts). Plus, it's not like you're going to save half a packet of yeast for later use.

well i used 1 cup of sugar (roughly a half pound) and half of a yeast pack, because i was planning to use the other half on a diffrent batch today.

tho its ben lightly bubbleing for about 8 hours, would it hurt if i just added the rest of the yeast (hal pack) that i had saved?

thanx for the knowlegde and info

At this point, I wouldn't take the risk (albeit the miniscule risk) of contamination by opening it back up. It's bubbling away, the yeast seem to be happy, time to kick back and wait.

+1 on the make another batch!:D
Try this recipe for another one gallon trial batch.
1 gallon apple juice
1 12oz container of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
2 snack boxes of good raisins
1 cup of packed brown sugar
your other half packet of yeast.
I pour just a bit of boiling water over the raisins in a bowl to plump them and then in the gallon I put the concentrate and brown sugar and about 1 quart of the apple juice and then I put the good cap on and shake the crap out of it to add some good air in.
drain the raisins and add to the juice in the gallon, while doing this have you or a helper shake the air into the rest of the gallon of apple juice (I usually have two 2 quart bottles of juice instead of one gallon, the gallons aren't on sale as often as the 2 quarts are.)
top off the gallon with the rest of the apple juice, you will have some left over. Sprinkle the rest of the yeast on top and then put your airlock on and set it in a nice place so you can watch the yeast colonies form and the raisins to bob up and down in the must and just watch the show!:D

-1 on the brown sugar, unless you don't care if it isn't clear. I used 1.3 lbs in a 5 gallon batch and mine is still very hazy after 3 months. I do not think it will every clear. Brown sugar is good, but don't expect it to clear.

-1 on the brown sugar, unless you don't care if it isn't clear. I used 1.3 lbs in a 5 gallon batch and mine is still very hazy after 3 months. I do not think it will every clear. Brown sugar is good, but don't expect it to clear.

I wonder if it is a brand thing-?:confused: I used cheap store brand brown sugar and it cleared up fine for me.(light brown not dark brown)
I did a batch with regular sugar also and it cleared too.
So far the only one that is not clearing is the apple/honey one, it is has been almost 4 months now and it is still quite cloudy with just a hint of clearing on the top few inches.
also, expect more lees if you use raisins, that has been my experience so far.

Back