aerating yeast, how long after pitched should you still be aerating ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkaba

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is OK to aerate, shake the carboy, after the yeast has been pitched. The instructions I read said to aerate the wort before adding yeast but nothing about aerating after.

thanks

As long as it's not too long after pitching you'll be fine. The yeast need lots of oxygen to really get things going, so on brew day you probably can't aerate too much. After the action gets going on your carboy I wouldn't disturb them (a few hours after pitching.)

OK
It has been about 14 hours since I pitched the yeast and I have no visible activity yet. I'm wondering if I should shake the carboy. I've read it can take anywhere from 5 to 15 hours before fermentation starts. I'm getting suspicious something has gone wrong. The temp has been about 78*.

Your fine as sometimes it can take up to 24 hours. I would not shake it at this point. Your temp is high though. How hot was the wort when you added the yeast? Anyway for you to cool it down? What kind of yeast did you pitch?

I pitched White Labs liquid yeast when the wort was below 80*. Yeast bottle says 70-75 degrees. I pitched a few degrees above the recommended because I had a "too cold" problem on my last batch. I'll cool it a little and leave it alone.

Thanks for the help.

Fermentation should start in 6-72 hours.

I have a pump/filter/stone setup, but the only time I aerate after pitching is when I have a high gravity ale and no cake to pitch onto. Then I use a timer to run the pump 10 minutes every 2 hours for the first 12 hours.

so you don't want to aerate 12 hours after pitching even though fermentation is not visible ?
I initially shook the carboy a few times for a total of a few minutes. Is that enough ?

merkaba said:
OK
It has been about 14 hours since I pitched the yeast and I have no visible activity yet. I'm wondering if I should shake the carboy. I've read it can take anywhere from 5 to 15 hours before fermentation starts. I'm getting suspicious something has gone wrong. The temp has been about 78*.

What yeast are you using? 78 is getting towards the high side, but you should be ok still. How did you pitch it? Did you use a starter? I'm guessing you did not use a starter..... if I'm right and you did not use a starter you could be watching it too closely (a watched pot doesn't boil kinda thing). Ignore it for a little while and relax.

david_42 said:
Fermentation should start in 6-72 hours.

I have a pump/filter/stone setup, but the only time I aerate after pitching is when I have a high gravity ale and no cake to pitch onto. Then I use a timer to run the pump 10 minutes every 2 hours for the first 12 hours.
David,
Would you mind describing your set-up for this... I have a pump/filter/stone myself, and would like to be able to aerate after pitching for my high OG brews as well

thanks,
:mug:
mikey

Here is what you need. Works GREAT! Less hassle.

fermentors_funnels_mixers_wedges.jpg

The whole page comes up for some reason. I'm talkling about the MIX-STIR on top to the right.

http://www.thevintageshop.ca/english/flyer-1.html

I think it's safe (although perhaps not necessary) to aerate the wort during the yeast's 'rapid growth phase', which normally takes place in the first few hours. If they have plenty of oxygen to absorb, they well produce less fermentation by-products.

Beer Snob said:
Here is what you need. Works GREAT! Less hassle.

The whole page comes up for some reason. I'm talkling about the MIX-STIR on top to the right.

http://www.thevintageshop.ca/english/flyer-1.html
I prefer my air to be filtered... I use Brettanomyces yeasts and both Lactobacillus and Pediococcus from time to time, so I don't really know WHAT is living in the brew room now... I love the funk, but only want it in the beers I put it in :D

later,
:mug:
mikey

Back