Pairing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for hops pairing recommendations ?
I'm trying to put together a recipe using the hops I have in stock, but really don't know what goes best with what.
I know that Fuggles and E.K. Golding work well, but I need more than that.

BTW, the recipe is of no particular style. It's going to be kind of a "Dr. Frankenstein's Monster" recipe, using up my spare materials.

I've got :
1 oz. each of E.K. Goldings, N.Z. Hallertauer, and German Spalt select, a couple of oz.'s of Willamette, and about a 1/2 oz. each of Styrian Goldings and German Hallertauer.

EKG and Styrian Goldings work great together since the styrian goldings are very similar to fuggles. Ditto on Willamette since it is essentially a US Fuggles. If you were planning a nice British bitter (ordinary, special, or extra special) you could bitter with Willamette, flavor with the Styrian Goldings at 15-20 minutes and use the EKG for aroma, dry hop, or first-wort hop to capture both aroma and flavor.

I would imagine the Spalt and the Hallertauer would work well together but I've not brewed any German beers yet. These links have great information though:

http://***********/resources/hops
http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/BrewingArticles/HopSpecs.htm

One of my house favorites pairs Fuggles (English hop) Cascade (American Hop) and Hallertauer (German Hops) It is my recipe for Amaizing Ale. Very nice pale ale.

John Palmer claims to make 'kitchen sink' porter by using whatever he has on hand. You can use EKG and Willamette in a robust porter.

I'm not familiar with the Spalt, so I can't speak for it. As for the others, I'd say they'd all work fairly well together. I think the key is those are a bunch of mildly spicy, floral, and earthy hops. Rather than mixing equal parts of each for the aroma and flavor additions, put in one for aroma and another for flavor. This will keep the hop qualities from getting muddied. Just my .02

Schlante,
Phillip

Dig the link for murphyandson.co. Wonder where you can get some of the "New Varieties"? Gotta love hops named after chicks!

Back