The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know - it's kind of cool to see some of the classics with a new doctor - put a new spin on how to approach an old foe. That said, since the relaunch, we have gotten some really good new ones - The Weeping Angels were awesome (granted, they've then gone back to that well a few times), The Family was a fun one during Tenant's run, and I know there have been others that just aren't coming immediately to mind.

Interesting...

10678806_622082387917297_7522776692736642978_n.jpg

Not really relevant to the storyline of doctor who, but thought that people that enjoy the show might get a kick out of this. I got a fridge over the summer to use for serving off my kegs.

Sorry about the photo quality, but there is so much backlight with all the snow outside.

It's still a work in progress, but as I don't have much free time it will probably remain like this until sometime into the new year.

Is it bigger on the inside? Think how many kegs you could fit in a TARDIS kegerator!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

While that would be cool, I think that the other function of the TARDIS would be even more beneficial to us as Brewers.

Imagine brewing a big beer like a RIS or Barleywine, or a long aging sour, then going a year, or 3, into the future to try it, then come back. You would be able to taste, critique, and correct in "realtime".

Of course there is probably some time lord law that forbids it or......

There could be some kind of paradox, like if you used a time machine to become a better brewer right now, you wouldn't need to be a better brewer, because you could just go drink your future brews whenever you wanted, or..... You would become a better brewer in the present because of all your adventures into the future, so you wouldn't need a magic box because you already have the knowledge, but only because of the magic box. Or.......

Maybe I should just stop rambling and go grab a homebrew, it's been a long day

So... What'd everyone think of the Christmas Special? I thought a Doctor-flavored version of Inception was a pretty cool idea - and between the tangerine at the end and the lack of wounds on their faces, I'm not convinced they came out of the dream at the end - which might suggest, well, weird things for the next season.

Also, did Santa bring any of you any Doctor Who schwag? I received a copy of Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures From the First 50 Years and the first two audio adventures of the 8th Doctor on CD...

I got a string of Tardis lights. I'm trying to figure out where to hang them. Probably over the bathroom door as a nightlight for my daughter. But I need to get a short extension cord and a couple hooks.

Also, I can finally stream Season 8. So I'm slowly getting caught up. I just watched the Robin Hood episode.

I'm losing hope that there will be less romantic comedy this season than the Matt Smith years.

On my classic Doctor Who count, I'm down to 37 of the original serials that still exist that I haven't watched. I'm sure I've watched most of those, but it was 20 years ago.

Moffat's first big hit as a writer was Coupling which was all romantic comedy. It was an absolutely hilarious show.

But I think as a writer and producer, he falls back on romantic comedy as a crutch.

I tried watching the first Capaldi season. I can't get into it. I think I watched 4 episodes and gave up.

What an unexpected find on HBT--Dr. Who--thread! kewl beans!
I did a quick browse of the thread: I first bumped into Dr Who in late 70's on PBS during college days. Tom Baker was my first Doctor so is one of my fav of course. I liked Tennant and Smith. I think they could have been brothers in a past life. Capaldi is growing on me. The second doc, Patrick Troughton, looked like an elderly Moe Howard (3 Stooges fame).

It was so bad I haven't had the courage to go back and muddle through them either. And this is with that hot brunette companion riding along with him!

I find every regeneration difficult (in spite of it being an essential feature of any Dr's character) it feels like just as the Dr has to get used to his new body, so do we. Stick with it -I'd say it's definitely worth the effort as the current season progresses.

I find every regeneration difficult (in spite of it being an essential feature of any Dr's character) it feels like just as the Dr has to get used to his new body, so do we. Stick with it -I'd say it's definitely worth the effort as the current season progresses.

I agree, although I did find Tennant's doctor easy to deal with after Eccelston. I liked Eccelston, but Tennant's doctor just seemed to be the right mix of fun and smart, and I really liked his relationship with Rose.

Smith grew on me as well, but it took a while. I was looking forward to Capaldi, but it seemed his character started going in a direction that just didn't seem to fit. I've heard others say he needs time as well. I'll have to try and schedule an episode or two and see how it goes.

I wouldn't mind a companion that is pouty and not all that interested in the Doctor's doings (Yet somehow always manages to tag along and help him out...)

I agree, although I did find Tennant's doctor easy to deal with after Eccelston. I liked Eccelston, but Tennant's doctor just seemed to be the right mix of fun and smart, and I really liked his relationship with Rose.

Smith grew on me as well, but it took a while. I was looking forward to Capaldi, but it seemed his character started going in a direction that just didn't seem to fit. I've heard others say he needs time as well. I'll have to try and schedule an episode or two and see how it goes.

I wouldn't mind a companion that is pouty and not all that interested in the Doctor's doings (Yet somehow always manages to tag along and help him out...)

That is I think why I dig Capaldi so much. He still is trying to figure out who The Doctor really is two seasons in. It is not a hey look this is who I am, it is more like someone coming out of a coma just trying to figure their way around the word.

I take Capaldis anger a lot more seriously then Matt Smiths. 10 was good for anger but Capaldi really sells it for me.....wee bit confused with the end of this season and super pissed Missy makes no apperance anywhere in the season(other then very early) after seeming like she would be a big plotline.

Missy was a very compelling character last season. She almost stole the show every episode she was in.

Ashildr (sp?) was good in her first episode, but otherwise was annoying. "The Woman Who Lives" was hard to watch; it just dragged on and on. It might have made a good half hour show...

Overall, the 2nd season with Capaldi was pretty bad. He was good (I like the way he's still developing the character), but the writing sucked.

Agreed I understand MEs role in the end but Jesus I hates her character and for the love of God why can't Clara stay dead. She's been my least favorite companion up there with Martha.

I want more Missy

They could have resurrected Benny Hill to play the Doctor and it still would have been better than Matt Smith.

I liked Smith but I liked Tennant a lot more. I didn't start watching until Eccleston though, so my experience is limited.

Agree with moto.

Matt Smith definitely took a little time to grow on me, as Tennant really found a special place for me. But once he did, I really dug his performance a lot.

In fact, I've read a few other works lately, and listened to a few audiobooks, where I'm 99.9% positive that characters were drawn in large part from Smith's Doctor.

That said, Capaldi hit his stride (for me) really quickly. And this most recent seaason was just awesome for him. Complete madman, in many senses of the word.

Matt Smith was probably the darkest Doctor, even tho' he played it like a buffoon or an immature boy. The whole Amy and Rory arc was tragic if you watched the episodes in order.

I missed that the first time I watched them because I missed quite a few or saw them out of sequence; watched them properly on Amazon Prime a year later getting ready for the new season.

My favorite, most memorable episode so far is a Smith episode. Vincent and the Doctor. I really liked that one a lot.

Agreed I understand MEs role in the end but Jesus I hates her character and for the love of God why can't Clara stay dead. She's been my least favorite companion up there with Martha.

I want more Missy

Spend 2 hours listening to Adric whine or Ace wanting to blow something up. Ace didn't become anything more than a one dimensional cartoon until the very last episode of the original series.

The only thing annoying about Martha was her pinning away for the Doctor.

I'm currently halfway through binging on Season 9. What is it with the Zygons? They look like tongues with arms, legs, & suckers. They were always among my least favorite villains.

The nice thing about this season is that 10 - 25% of every episode isn't being wasted on the Clara & Danny's relationship. And we've gotten past the hug the monster/bomb - nobody dies today BS.

So I just finished Season 9.

I must confess the last two episodes, Heaven Sent and Hell Bent, were my least favorite of the series. I kept falling asleep in Heaven Sent. They could have cut about 20 minutes of montage from the end and nothing would have been lost from the plot.

And the ending of Hell Bent was just stupid. Nowhere is it written that a companion can't be killed off. Adric was killed off.

Moffat wrote the first two and last two episodes solo and cowrote two episodes in the middle. My opinion:
#1. Enjoyable
#2. Good
#5. Embarrass the monster
#8. Hug the monster
#11. Boring & pointless
#12. Cheap & sentimental

I thought Me could have been a more interesting character. I was disappointed that was as far as they developed her.

The Hybrid thing never seemed to go anywhere. Are they trying to reconcile the bizzaro TV movie (8th Doctor) plot thread that the Doctor is part human? If so, I'll be disappointed.

It is starting looking like the Doctor's Name plot thread. The Doctor's Name was teased to the point I didn't care anymore. When it came up in the 2013 Christmas Special (Time of the Doctor), my first thought was "Do we really have to go back here?"

So... who's on board for series 10? (I never got why these were called "series" instead of "seasons", but whatever I guess)

I felt like Ep 1 was a pretty nice jumping off point for Bill, and it was fun to see that kind of a look into the characters. The "coming soon" teasers certainly suggest some interesting times to come too!

Haven't yet watched the first ep (though I'm actually a season or 2 behind.) Having to DVR, though so as soon as we get a chance we'll watch.
Did anyone see the spin-off (I guess?) Class? Any thoughts on that? Seemed an interesting concept from the commercials for it. Probably give that a few episodes and see where it goes from there.

So... who's on board for series 10? (I never got why these were called "series" instead of "seasons", but whatever I guess)

I felt like Ep 1 was a pretty nice jumping off point for Bill, and it was fun to see that kind of a look into the characters. The "coming soon" teasers certainly suggest some interesting times to come too!

I thought it was too. Just the episode styling is amazing, big change from the past seasons.

I definitely noticed some camera work, and certain shots, that seemed pretty brand new to how Doctor Who tells stories, and that seemed to work really well for this episode. A few shots seemed like handheld cameras that kind of moved through a developing scene and just gave a pretty unique (again, for Doctor Who) feel.

I also checked out the first episode of Class - I was a bit doubtful about it from the start (apparently it already aired in its entirety in England last year, and didn't get picked up for a second season), but it seems interesting enough - but clearly aimed at a younger-than-me audience.

We're so far behind now! I tried talking the family into catching up, but the interest is just not there. They kind of lost us when the new doctor came on board. The recent previews makes me want to get back into it, but not sure I have the time to catch up right now. Billie looks like a fun companion.

Back