Imperial Stout Ten Fidy Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As predicted, kegged early. 2 weeks in and pretty darn good. Obviously Safale4 adds different character. Plan a true Ten-fidy clone in October. Nice thing about stouts, longer the better unlike IPAs which you gotta suck down 5 gallons in 2 months.

PianoMan - which beer did you brew?

Ok, 3 months old now. Getting better and better. I have a 10-fidy and mine testing now. HB with safale04 creates a more appealing and longer after taste. I still think there's a small amount of oak/bourbon in 10-fidy. Does anyone else taste it?

As predicted, kegged early. 2 weeks in and pretty darn good. Obviously Safale4 adds different character. Plan a true Ten-fidy clone in October. Nice thing about stouts, longer the better unlike IPAs which you gotta suck down 5 gallons in 2 months.

Did you end up doing the clone last month?

Any comments on the IBU's listed on the OP?

Tossing in the same amounts in a 5.5 gallon batch yields around 55 IBU [Tinseth]

Just curious, OB lists it at 65 online.

So anther attempt next weekend. After serval attempts. I'd really like to nail it. FG at 1.028 would be perfect. Is 1056 necessary for this? I've done safale04 and 05, with both stuck at 1.040. Any advice?

So anther attempt next weekend. After serval attempts. I'd really like to nail it. FG at 1.028 would be perfect. Is 1056 necessary for this? I've done safale04 and 05, with both stuck at 1.040. Any advice?

I have been wanting to make this with san diego super yeast but i was fresh out... I made a big'ol starter with cali yeast. Let you know how it turns out. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450016572.909350.jpg only been 12 hours and shes bubbling like crazy!

LHBS has fresh batch of SDSY. Will brew Wednesday. My first big beer using liquid yeast...bit nervous.

So been reading up on this yeast. Looking at OG 1.1, FG 1.028. With SDSY, should I be mashing much higher at 156? Looks like this stuff can chew threw steel. Not interested in a dry stout. Thanks for advice, or sharing personal experience.

Edit: my recipe is spitting image of original, except I'm adding 1lb DME due to my efficiency and the mash ton will all ready be too full. Mashing at 156. Beersmith says it should end at 28, want 30 so adding 1lb lactose. With SDSY, calculation at 10.4%ABV, hopefully have 400billion cells. Brew day Wednesday.

How did the brew day go?

Numbers we're very close, 1.104. Starter was showing activity about 4hrs before pitching...we'll see. May have slightly burned some dme my electric stove. Perhaps it'll add extra flavor! Had water circulating around fermentation bucket at 59F. Looks like San Diego likes a cooler environment then the safale05 I normally use. Another 10-12 days to secondary. Thanks for asking.

Have you brewed this?

Just mashed in on this beast. Opted to sub out some 2 row for 3# of dme.

Smells like a roast shop in the the garage!!!

Just mashed in on this beast. Opted to sub out some 2 row for 3# of dme.

Smells like a roast shop in the the garage!!!

Done similar thing. I just can't get this recipe to ferment out. Best I've done was 1.038. Used Safale4, Safale5, and San Diego Super Yeast along with different fermentation temperatures and substituting with DME. Batch made 3 weeks ago, I just re-oxygenated and pitched Champaign yeast 1118.

Edit:
Another clone attempt today. Hit gravity way early in tun drain, so decided to partigyle. Ended boil too early on 10fidy, at 1.090, but had extra wort so added to PG. Took oak chips and soaked during PG strike. Smell nice! Also used US Goldings and Safale4 since those what I have lying around.

Done similar thing. I just can't get this recipe to ferment out. Best I've done was 1.038. Used Safale4, Safale5, and San Diego Super Yeast along with different fermentation temperatures and substituting with DME. Batch made 3 weeks ago, I just re-oxygenated and pitched Champaign yeast 1118.

Edit:
Another clone attempt today. Hit gravity way early in tun drain, so decided to partigyle. Ended boil too early on 10fidy, at 1.090, but had extra wort so added to PG. Took oak chips and soaked during PG strike. Smell nice! Also used US Goldings and Safale4 since those what I have lying around.

I checked mine at the 6 day mark....fermented @ 63 for 2 days, then ramped it to 67 from there. 1.110 down to about 1.036 or so and was still showing some signs of activity.

I'm hoping to get it down to 1.030 and call it good. Used 2 packs of S04 for mine.

and an aquarium pump for oxygen.

I checked mine at the 6 day mark....fermented @ 63 for 2 days, then ramped it to 67 from there. 1.110 down to about 1.036 or so and was still showing some signs of activity.

I'm hoping to get it down to 1.030 and call it good. Used 2 packs of S04 for mine.

1.030...i'd buy that for a dollar! Mine was 1.045 after 2 weeks! So where are you measuring temperature? If I may ask. I just recirculate water around the bucket. My usual daily temp settings; 65, 61,61,63,65, room temp...68 in winter. But don't know the actual wort temp. Just curious.

1.030...i'd buy that for a dollar! Mine was 1.045 after 2 weeks! So where are you measuring temperature? If I may ask. I just recirculate water around the bucket. My usual daily temp settings; 65, 61,61,63,65, room temp...68 in winter. But don't know the actual wort temp. Just curious.

I have mine in my ferm chamber.

I have my probe underneath a 2"x3"x"2" piece of foam I molded to the bucket.

I typically set it 1degF below what I want it because my temp controller only let's me control hysteresis w/in 1deg.

So if I set to 65, it'll rise to 66 then kick on the compressor.

One more question if you don't mind. How are you getting O2 with an aquarium pump? Just pumping air?

One more question if you don't mind. How are you getting O2 with an aquarium pump? Just pumping air?

Ya - I've got an SS stone I pump through. It's not as good as an O2 system but a bit cheaper. From what I've read, you can't put too much air into the wort with a pump.

I just run it for 15/20 min for a standard gravity [<1.06] and 30/40 min for anything over that and it seems to work ok.

Side not, my clone leveled out at 1.030. 1.110 - 1.03 so I think it's done.

So the attempt that ended at 1.045 and wouldn't ferment out, added oak/bourbon to it. Force carb and bottled next day, my first attempt at such a thing.

This is really good, bit undercarbed, but no biggy with this style. My stout buds are asking for more...like 4.5gal is not enough. Happy it turned out! Have another clone attempt which I'll know more Thursday.

View attachment 1452978223305.jpg

I took out the last hop addition and made the first 2 1.5oz. Other than that everything was the same.

I had a stuck sparge so I had to add more water so my OG is only 1.092. Which isn't the end of the world. Hopefully it will finish around 1.020 and be 9fidy [emoji1]

Mine are too bitter. I'm lowering the hops myself. Hope yours ferments out. I have a 6% stout going now which will be the yeast for next attempt. Keep us posted.

Finished out at 1.020. I'm going to let it sit for a month or so then take a taste. It's actually pretty good as it is. Not too boozy. The roasted malts are most noticeable. It has a super silky mouthfeel which is great. I think it's going to be pretty good.

I brewed this 12/30/15. OG was 1.092 and ended up at 1.024. Pitched s05 in a big started. I want to bottle this but I've had terrible experiences getting the carbonation right. Any suggestions?

I hit it with O2 before I pitched. 1500ML starter of WLP001. I don't have a display gauge on my regulator, but ran it with tiny bubbles for about 45secs.

Anyone have experience on this subject? So my attempt 1 and 2 ended malty, 1.045 and 1.027. However, neither one are sweet. My dipa that ended at 1.010 taste sweeter. Any takers?

Anyone have experience on this subject? So my attempt 1 and 2 ended malty, 1.045 and 1.027. However, neither one are sweet. My dipa that ended at 1.010 taste sweeter. Any takers?

MAybe there's more at play than just residual sugars.

What were the hops and crystal malts with dipa?

We're all served similar too? Same temps?

Problem solved. Over mashing/sparging caused tannins to extract from dark grains. I've done 2 more with 45min mash and 10min sparge. No astringent/excess bitter. Flavors are more pronounced. Also switched back to 2-row. Marris Otter adding too much bready/yeast flavor for my taste. Excited and have adjunct plans for 2016. After 2 years, finally feeling like I'm starting to get a handle..ha!

Ok, I just brewed the OP version of this recipe. I added the recipe into my BeerSmith and have same results on paper as OP. My efficiency must be off because when I checked my OG it clocked in at 1085. Kinda bummed. My spare water cooled few degrees than it should have. Would that change OG? I used A-10 Darkness from Imperial Organics as my yeast. 200 billion cells x 2 cans. Any suggestions to help me get efficiency better? Not sure what happened

I brewed this today. For others like me that have a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun, yes, everything fit (surprisingly). About 23.5 lbs of grain and 7.3 gallons of water. It was at the tippy top, no more room to spare. When I pressed down on the lid to close it, a little foam came out, so really had no room left for anything. Amazingly I hit the 1.100 OG, which is was unexpected since my efficiency isn't usually up to snuff. Opted for 2 rehydrated US-05 packets, otherwise followed the recipe exactly. We'll see how it goes. I'm a little worried about hitting the FG.

I brewed this today. For others like me that have a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun, yes, everything fit (surprisingly). About 23.5 lbs of grain and 7.3 gallons of water. It was at the tippy top, no more room to spare. When I pressed down on the lid to close it, a little foam came out, so really had no room left for anything. Amazingly I hit the 1.100 OG, which is was unexpected since my efficiency isn't usually up to snuff. Opted for 2 rehydrated US-05 packets, otherwise followed the recipe exactly. We'll see how it goes. I'm a little worried about hitting the FG.

Just posted on another thread about getting better attenuation. I was taught this, it's easy, it works, so passing it on.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7946944

Back