Fruit Beer Panty Dropper Apricot Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
San Diego Super
Yeast Starter
650 ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days at 75F
Tasting Notes
As good a beer as I have made in 20 years
20 minute boil with two pounds of Northern Brewer wheat extract with hops as listed. Should yield 19.6 IBU's. Add other four pounds of extract and honey as late addition at flame out. Cool and add pre-boiled water to make five gallons of wort and pitch super yeast. Soak 24 oz. dried apricots in large bottle of apricot nectar over night. Boil for 20 min (add pectin if desired). Puree in blender (add more nectar if needed). Add to fermenter at the three day mark along with four ounces more honey. Ferment out and bottle with 2/3's cup sugar, 2 oz. of apricot extract and 4 oz. lactose added to the bottling bucket. Store at room temp for 7 days, refrigerate 7 days and enjoy.

Plain wort was very nice. Apricot puree should add 12 points according to program and I added that to the OG. I added 4 oz. honey to apricots when boiling and add that with the three day addition. Bottled after allowing to ferment at 75F for six days to finish, and final gravity was an amazing 1.005! That super yeast must like to eat. Smelled very good with much apricot aroma. After nearly two weeks in the bottle it was an awesome brew. Very aromatic and tastes of apricots a lot. Just an excellent brew. If I had to be critical I might cut the extract to a single ounce, but it is super just like it is if you don't have to have a tart, bitter brew to be happy.

Cheers! :mug:

6 lbs Northern Brewer Wheat Extract
2.5 #'s Apricot puree
10 oz honey
1.0 oz Cascade (20 min) Hops 6.4 AA
0.25 oz Fuggles (10 min) 4.5 AA

San Diego Super WLP090

4 oz lactose (bottling)
2 oz apricot extract (bottling)
2/3rds cup corn sugar (bottling)

OG 1.051
FG 1.005

I just brewed a wheat nearly identical to this on Monday and was going to add apricot extract at bottling next week. I like what you did with the dried apricots, I may have to try this as a late addition before I leave town tomorrow.

I just brewed a wheat nearly identical to this on Monday and was going to add apricot extract at bottling next week. I like what you did with the dried apricots, I may have to try this as a late addition before I leave town tomorrow.

Excellent! I like the puree a lot and would drop the extract to an ounce. Be prepared for a lot of sediment from the puree and take care when transferring to bottle bucket or secondary and you will like it. Really nice apricot flavor came through and friends have found it to their liking.

This sounds delicious. My question is why did you add so much honey? Every time I have used honey, the honey doesn't finish fermenting until after it has been in the bottle. These bottles are either over carbonated or explode. Could you not achieve the same effect by adding Belgian candy sugar? I mean honey is 100% fermentable so at the end of the day it should not make a difference which sugar, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had the same issue with honey. It is 100% fermentable but just takes too long. I have gotten great results with Belgian candi sugar. Just make your own at home and have it on hand. Get a 10 or 25lb. bag at the price club and spend a little time cooking it up. It will keep quite a while and costs MUCH less than buying it at your local HBS. Just be careful when you serve these beers to dinner guests. They pack quite a wallop!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back